Sr. Manager, Finance at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Senior Finance Manager will report to the VP FP&A and work closely with the team to develop annual plans, perform monthly forecasts and variance analysis of gross services volume (GSV)*, take rate, revenue and payment costs. The FP&A team works closely together to:
- Run the monthly forecasting and variance process
- Partner with the business to deliver insights and build business plans
- Manage quarterly internal reporting processes including support of our execution of public company external reporting rhythm
- Drive annual planning
- Maintain the company’s long-term plan
The FP&A team works closely with the CFO, the Executive leadership team and various business partners. The Finance Manager will be a key collaborator with our other financial leaders in the Controller, Financial Systems and Investor Relations functions in helping the CFO organization scale for growth and be World Class. To be successful, you must interpret and communicate insights to the executive leadership team.
- Work with Product, Operations, Engineering, Analytics and Sales & Marketing to accurately forecast topline metrics (GSV, Take Rate and Revenue) and payment costs
- Prepare monthly and quarterly management reporting around the company’s topline metrics - analyzing financial results, distilling/synthesizing key trends, assessing current and future business risk, and communicating key messages to senior management
- Collaborate with fellow FP&A leaders on building models to support financial guidance; messaging to internal and external stakeholders; and evaluation of strategic initiatives as well as building out long-term models
- Demonstrated experience in corporate finance, equity research, investment banking or related fields
- Experience with financial and data visualization systems such as Oracle, Anaplan, Adaptive Planning, Looker, Domo (SQL nice to have)
- High proficiency in Excel - building financial and decision support models
- You have experience modeling and measuring performance of a marketplace or SaaS companies
- You’ve built financial models using equity analyst research and tracked performance against consensus
- You understand the growth drivers of a B2B company, with customers that range from small business to large enterprise
- You have a passion for the future of work without limits and the freelancer economy
- Experience in collaborating across functional areas within an organization
- Structured thinking: comfort with numbers, details and ambiguity
- Communications skills and presence: ability to express oneself clearly and concisely
- Strategic thinking: ability to work independently and to solve problems with minimal supervision
- High integrity
* GSV represents the total amount that clients spend on both our marketplace offerings and our managed services offering as well as additional fees we charge to users for other services.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you’re working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we’re working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered (especially with our company favorite, Work Online Wednesdays). Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.