Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The finance team is looking for a dynamic and multi-faceted individual that has a breadth of experience in finance and technology to join the Business Controller team. You will play a key role in coordinating internally across all finance departments as well as externally to the full range of stakeholder groups including Product, Legal, Compliance and Engineering. The ideal candidate is inquisitive and can utilize well-honed problem-solving skills to not only understand how a product works but also where and how it will impact finance and the control environment.
The candidate must possess a strong knowledge of SOX 404 and US GAAP principles and preferably have experience in business process mapping, risk identification and controls documentation. Building strong relationships is key as you work cross-functionally with a mindset of collaboration, partnership and delivering value for our key stakeholders. As the business grows, we are focused on sustainability and consistency to drive towards a best-in-class finance department and you will be critical to the success of the team.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Work with process owners to scope, design, and implement controls to address key risks and ensure design adequacy and operating effectiveness of financial controls across the Company that impact SOX.
- Assess finance and related SOX implications of new product launches, provide guidance, design process and controls, and communicate requirements to the product organization and other stakeholders.
- Assist in preparing the annual and quarterly management SOX scoping, risk assessment, controls mapping and changes identification process.
- Tracking of ongoing actions and remediation items, providing support to the Finance team for testing and issue resolution when required.
- Train and assist ICFR control owners, related to updating and maintaining SOX documentation including process flows, significant controls, financial reporting risks and significant accounts.
- Coordinate with internal and external auditors to ensure the effectiveness of the controls are tested and the resolution of any audit findings.
- Provide ad hoc reports and status on above responsibilities.
- Work on projects / initiatives as assigned.
- Work closely with stakeholders across functions in a fast-paced environment to build connections and provide solutions to issues impacting a wide variety of finance areas.
- Stay current on best practices and latest thinking regarding processes, risk management and controls.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and communicate with different cultures and levels within the organization.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree, CPA certification (or working towards) preferred.
- 8+ years of experience, including financial audit/attestation preferably in a Big Four firm or a public company’s internal audit/SOX function or a combination thereof.
- Knowledge and experience in Internal Control over Financial Reporting, SOX 404 framework, and the required documentation and testing
- Highly motivated and proactive with strong project management, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to partner with business and technology leaders to identify optimal solutions that resolve business process or technology control gap.
- Comfortable in a hyper-growth environment, managing through ambiguity and delivering at a fast pace.
Nice to haves:
- Working knowledge of Netsuite, Anaplan, Kyriba and G-suite tools.
- Crypto background and technical product knowledge.
- Working with complex data.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.