Head of Finance Data & System at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Blockchains are revolutionizing how financial data is shared and audited. As the Head of Finance Data & Systems, you will be at the heart of these innovations and collaborating closely with the Coinbase finance team, setting long term strategy and roadmaps, building finance data pipelines and tools that integrate traditional banking with the future of money.
We expect you to have a deep understanding of audit & compliance processes in finance data, and demonstrate clear communication, strong desire to execute and best-in-class craftsmanship. Also, you’ll spend the other part of your time collaborating with cross-functional partners in product and engineering, ensuring Coinbase scales in the most safe and compliant way.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Act as a strategic thought partner to finance teams and Coinbase executives; lead the team to execute on audit, month-end close and other top finance priorities;
- Drive long term finance data strategies and planning; Act as the DRI for all finance data, systems and metrics
- Lead, mentor and grow a team of data scientists, data science managers and build strong partnerships with finance teams
- Design communication structure and cadence with team members; Synthesize data learnings (success or failures) into compelling stories and communicate them throughout Coinbase.
- Drive data team and organizational level initiatives to scale our insights through better systems and automation
- Build effective working relationships with Coinbase platform product and engineering to automate reconciliation of data across internal systems, and between our platform and external sources (banks, blockchains, etc.)
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Set vision for data & finance projects and build collaboration within the team
- BA / BS degree business, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, or any scientific or computational degree. Masters or PhD is preferred
- 7+ years of experience as a hands-on leader of a high-performing finance data science or data engineering team.
- 10+ years of experience in data engineering or driving finance data initiatives.
- Experience in audit or compliance process
- Expert knowledge of SQL, particularly with respect to ledgers and financial data manipulation
- Expert knowledge of Python; Working/expert knowledge of Airflow, or equivalent data pipeline tool
- Demonstrate our core cultural values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution; Organized and attention to detail
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.