Associate Counsel, Capital Markets & Finance at Carvana
ASSOCIATE COUNSEL, CAPITAL MARKETS & FINANCE
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry, then you will love what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. We are looking for teammates who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and every day we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
About the team and position
We’re seeking an emotionally intelligent, articulate, and pragmatic teammate who is excited to join a mission-driven, fast-growing company. Our team is looking for people with kindness, positivity, and excellent judgment to help us build a world-class organization. If that sounds like you, we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
The Associate Counsel will join a team of lawyers and paralegals supporting the rapid growth of Carvana’s capital markets and finance functions. You’ll help us design and execute diverse and robust funding sources, providing further fuel for our company’s growth and in service of our mission to revolutionize the car buying experience. Although we will get started together remotely, you will ultimately be based at our corporate headquarters in beautiful Tempe, Arizona.
What you’ll be doing
As an integral member of our team, you should expect to collaborate with your colleagues to execute innovative new transactions and manage our portfolio of existing deals. Specifically, we are excited for you to:
- Take a leading role in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating transaction documents and disclosure.
- Counsel our business partners on debt capital markets and structured finance transactions.
- Manage ongoing disclosure obligations for our SEC reporting issuers.
- Analyze complex transactions for legal and regulatory risks.
- Work directly with various legal and non-legal teams to solve day-to-day issues.
- Assist senior management with developing and implementing policies and positions on legal issues.
What you should know/have
The successful Associate Counsel, Capital Markets & Finance is empathetic toward their teammates, has exceptional attention to detail, and can easily adapt to an entrepreneurial business in a dynamic capital markets practice. This position requires an understanding of Carvana’s financing needs and requires frequent interaction with Carvana’s business teams.
We also look for:
- A JD from an ABA accredited law school.
- Membership in, or the ability to register as an in-house counsel with, the Arizona Bar Association.
- At least 2 years’ experience at a law firm or financial institution.
- Excellent judgment, high emotional intelligence, and self-management.
- Enthusiasm and energy to thrive in a rapidly evolving company.
We’d be thrilled if you also have:
- Experience in capital markets, structured finance, or public company representation.
- Familiarity with financial concepts germane to securitizations, lending facilities, and debt capital markets.
What we’ll offer in return
- Modern compensation structure of salary plus equity.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- Student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.