We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join the team at Customer.io. While your influence is important across the entire engineering organization, your most important responsibility will be to lead your software engineering squad through product discovery that helps identify and break our product goals into technical projects. As an Engineering Manager for Customer.io, you will work with Leadership and your peers to shape the engineering culture and process as Customer.io continues its growth.
We are passionate and highly effective people who believe that embracing unique perspectives is key to our success. We ship fast, with just enough processes to keep us coordinated. We are seeking empowered individuals who work collaboratively with their peers on interesting problems, and get those solutions into the hands of customers quickly. We value diversity, attracting the best people in the world to serve as colleagues. Our flexibility and freedom to work from anywhere in the world enables you to craft a work environment in which you can do your best work.
As an Engineering Manager at Customer.io, you will...
- Initiate, influence, and drive technical projects within your squad, ensuring our solutions are scalable, architecturally sound, flexible, and secure, and that technical debt is incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time
- Empower the engineers and dev leads in your squad to succeed by identifying how to measure success and mentor them on how to achieve those goals
- Build and maintain a partnership with your Product Management and Design peers
- Champion our culture. We strive to be inclusive, cooperative, and empathetic.
- Recruit and hire new team members, with an emphasis on increasing our diversity.
- Improve our processes, and identify gaps in how we work.
- Work directly within your squad to create accountability for delivery timelines, promote healthy work culture, and ensure quality in new product features.
- Be an advocate for our vision of a great product team: Product Management defines problems and outcomes, while Engineering & Design define the solutions.
We're looking for someone who is…
- An experienced Engineering Manager at an established, high-growth SaaS company
- Demonstrates the ability to understand technical architecture, review design work, and provide feedback to a talented team of engineers
- Has a broad engineering background and deep experience leading full-stack teams
- An experienced leader who makes people and teams around you better through direct yet kind feedback, effective mentorship, and proactive collaboration
- Preferably 7+ years of experience as a Fullstack/Backend Software Engineer
- Preferably 5+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 5,500 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We offer a starting salary of USD $172,000 - $195,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO - we encourage at least 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave (including adoption and foster care)
- 100% paid insurance premiums for you and your dependents
- 401k retirement matching - up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- $1,500 annual healthy lifestyle budget (for gym memberships, classes, fitness equipment)
- $250/monthly Remote Work Stipend a to be used for home internet, cell phone and other miscellaneous remote work costs
- $300/month co-working space rental reimbursement
- $2,000/yearly professional education budget for conferences, courses, workshops, books, etc.
- $1,500 home office budget to make sure your working space is ergonomic and just what you need to do your best work!
- One month sabbatical after five years at Customer.io
- We also have opportunities to meet in-person with your peers throughout the year
All final candidates will be asked to complete a background check and employment verifications as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you're interested in the position! We will respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here's what you can expect from our hiring process (order is subject to change):
30 minute video call with Recruiter
60 minute video call with a Director of Engineering
Homework assignment + 60 minute Review call with two potential teammates
- Final 30 minute call with the Hiring Manager