This position is a hybrid role and may require some travel. Individual will effectively manages the day to day activities of team, supporting and guiding decisions on projects, project management and opportunities within a highly matrixed organization. Assists Engineering Manager in defining goals and performance objectives and metrics to execute strategy, with a focus on financial goals and metrics (revenue, profit, enterprise value, etc.). Engineering Lead maintains the responsibilities of a Staff Engineer and will occasionally handle projects. Continuous check of resource availability and evaluation of possible alternative solutions by delegating work to appropriate levels for completion. Drives a high performing team by managing the performance, development and engagement of team members. This role is responsible for building relationships with customers and supporting the commercial team by ensuring workload balance and providing technical support needed to satisfy customers and adhere to UL Mission.
- Implements and executes capacity and capability management under the guidance of the Engineering Manager. Ensures effective workflow by engaging with cross functional leads and customers in order to understand scope of projects and technical needs to assign resources effectively. Responsible for driving process improvements to ensure financial results are achieved. Typically supports local members of a team, but may support remote employees in other locations.
- Drives a high performing team by managing the performance and development of team members. Operates effectively in the UL matrix to actively support and drive high performance culture changes, transformation efforts and people engagement. Holds team and self accountable for results, assists Engineering Manager in defining goals and performance objectives and metrics to execute strategy. Develops and coaches by providing, training, career counseling, feedback, guidance to drive high performance and morale. Ensures understanding of and compliance with all established policies and requirements.
- Increases customer loyalty, anticipates customer needs and provides proactive solutions. Gathers, shares and responds to customer feedback. Coaches and mentors employees to do the same. Supports sales by building relationships with customers, requiring a deep understanding of what is in pipeline, obtaining feedback on how UL can do better, what is working well and identifies actions and solutions.
- Provides direct support to customers and team by providing technical guidance and engineering judgment to complete projects and address all issues arising needing resolution (i.e. customer complaints, unusual requests, technical advice). Ensures quality and adherence to policies and standards requirements.
- Leads and/or participates in discussions to drive business initiatives through brainstorming discussions. Empowers and holds team accountable to find new opportunities to effectively drive growth & financial goals (revenue, profit, enterprise value, etc.).
- Delegates Project Handlers to establish the appropriate test programs. Supports and guides project handlers to ensure compliance with requirements, changes in project scope or specifications and customer notifications. Explains UL family of companies
- University degree (equivalent to a Bachelors degree) in Business Administration, Management, Engineering or related field plus generally five years directly related experience.
- Lean Sigma Green Belt or Lean Leadership Training, Gage R& R experience or equivalent preferred.
- Demonstrates knowledge of how decisions impact business results, working with a diverse team and planning and thinking strategically.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage employee performance using performance expectations and goals and responding to employee relations issues.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead in a Lean Sigma organization.
- Demonstrates the ability to make the complex simple and present information in a concise, relevant and powerful manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze and interpret analyses, data, process documents and plans.
- Demonstrates the ability to take calculated risks and plan for contingencies.
- Demonstrates the ability to listen, learn and teach.
- Demonstrates awareness of the challenges of working in diverse cultural environments.
- Demonstrates proficiency in local language and basic English.
- Demonstrates customer collaboration, project management and business acumen skills.
Working at UL Solutions is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal. Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com
A global leader in applied safety science, UL Solutions transforms safety, security, and sustainability challenges into opportunities for customers in more than 100 countries. UL Solutions delivers testing, inspection and certification services, together with software products and advisory offerings, that support our customers' product innovation and business growth.
The UL Certification Marks serve as a recognized symbol of trust in our customers' products and reflect an unwavering commitment to advancing our safety mission.
We help our customers innovate, launch new products and services, navigate global markets and complex supply chains, and grow sustainably and responsibly into the future.
From the adoption of electrification to the enablement of 5G and new mobility, we collectively look toward new frontiers, working for a safer world. Our science is your advantage.
Mission: Working for a safer world
ABOUT THE TEAM
Within our Energy and Industrial Automation (EIA), we provide solutions for safety, security, and performance throughout the energy, power distribution and, automation value chains. We work in a diversity of cutting-edge industries, such as: Power and Automation, Renewable Energy, Field Evaluation Services and Industrial Functional Safety. The impact of our work spreads through many business areas on a global scale yet focused locally through our collaborative team members.