System Software Engineer - C / C++ / Rust / Kernel - Linux container technology at Canonical (Salt Lake City, UT)
We are hiring a systems-level C programmer to focus performance critical, and security-critical, low level system libraries critical to Linux container capabilities. We are also interested in Rust for system-level programming in Ubuntu and more widely in Canonical.
The LXD team is responsible for the design, development and evolution of LXD, a modern system container and virtual machine manager that is widely used on Ubuntu, ChromeOS and other Linux platforms. LXD components span the entire software stack from low-level kernel features to the upper level management REST API and CLI.
This is an opportunity for someone who wants to have a meaningful impact on modern cloud computing technologies. Canonical offers a fun, fast-paced team environment and a career full of learning and development.What you will do
- Design, implement and document features in low level system container libraries (LXC and LXCFS)
- Maintain code quality through static analysis, unit and system tests
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel, 2 to 4 weeks/year for internal and external events
- You are curious, flexible, articulate and accountable
- You value soft skills and are enterprising, thoughtful and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have experience with system programming in C on Linux
- You have knowledge or interest in Linux kernel features like namespaces, cgroups, networking or storage
- You have experience with two or more of cloud computing, virtualisation, containers, distributed systems, open source community.
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.