Sr Systems Reliability Engineer at The Walt Disney Company
The Senior System Reliability Engineer is expected to have expert level systems administration skills on both the Linux and Windows server platforms and must have extensive experience with OS image and container management. This position will focus on service delivery, systems stability, security, performance and capacity management, process development and management as well as documentation. The role requires participating in an on-call support rotation.
This position works closely with various business Engineering and Production teams to gather requirements, troubleshoot issues, and provide stellar customer support. The role requires someone who is creative, proactive, constructive, and highly motivated. The Senior SRE must be prepared to work in an extremely collaborative and high-energy environment.
- Utilize scripting (Perl, PHP, Bash, Shell, etc.) to optimize and automate system functions and tasks
- Architect, build and operate high-quality production systems and processes
- Manages the OS image lifecycle processes and procedures to automate server provisioning of on premise and hybrid hosting services
- Design systems to enable rapid development, high availability and clear observability
- Maintain and improve the reliability and operability of services
- Write tools and leverage open source to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety and repeatability
- Take ownership and triage cases via helpdesk ticketing system or by monitoring Slack channels; provide regular updates to users and manage requests to meet business SLA’s
- All other duties as required to help achieve business goals, including but not limited to, availability for afterhours escalated support
- Ensure security best practice is at the forefront and embedded in our DNA of all your design
Basic Qualifications :
- Typically has 5 more years experience with relevant internet technologies and with implementing, administering, and supporting production websites and backend support systems.
- Five or more years of previous and relevant experience
- Server and client backup technologies and image management
- Strong knowledge in system management languages (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Ansible)
- Strong knowledge in operating systems and systems management (e.g. RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, Windows)
- Have a thorough knowledge of the syntax, capabilities, and limitations of the Linux and Windows operating systems including knowledge of the interaction between production programs and the operating system
- Multiple scripting languages in your toolbox (e.g. Python, Powershell, GO, Ruby, or Swift)
- Client operation systems and configuration management tools
- Virtual hosting technologies (e.g. VMWare, KVM)
- Data center, network, and application architectures
- Systems Security (e.g. key management, encryption, vulnerability management)
- Containerization and Container PaaS offerings (e.g. Docker, Rancher, Kubernetes, OpenShift)
- Passion to exploit technology and constantly learn
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: Ability to communicate effectively with end-users, business owners, developers, managers, and systems engineers
- Ability to discuss highly technical concepts to a variety of audiences, including executive level and technical decision-makers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication to all levels in the organization.
- Serves as primary point of contact with Manager.
- Ability to lead functional teams in systems integration and design including writing operational specs, architectural diagrams, test plans and requirements management.
- Communication of ideas and solutions in a clear and organized manner.
- Clear and effective presentations to groups of people.
- Effective project management and planning on large-scale projects (familiarity with agile/scrum and water-fall project management a plus).
- Ability to design and deliver training to other staff.
- Construction of concise and complete technical documentation.
- Mentoring of Jr. Staff on technical material.
- Viewed as a reliable technical resource for others.
- Detailed understanding of the goals and requirements of the business supported.
Required Education :
Bachelor of Science degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience in technical operations and software engineering
Additional Information :