Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 290,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.Meet Your Future Neighbors
In conjunction with product management and design, the engineering team at Nextdoor is responsible for bringing to life our mission of being the neighborhood hub for trusted connections and the exchange of helpful information, goods, and services. Working in small cross-functional teams, you’ll work in an agile environment that values code quality, learning quickly, and personal growth through collaboration and challenge.
You will collaborate with front end, back end, data science, infrastructure, and machine learning engineers to collectively improve the state of engineering at Nextdoor. All engineers are invited to join co-ops to facilitate continuous modernization and knowledge sharing.The Impact You’ll Make
As part of this team, you will be playing a crucial role in defining, architecting, and building the systems and features that enable a neighbor to find what they are looking for on Nextdoor. You will also be laying the groundwork for a huge part of Nextdoor's business model in the coming years.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Design, implement and maintain our search infrastructure component/services such as indexing, query processing, and result ranking
- Improve the relevance of search results
- Enhance the scalability, reliability, as well as resource efficiency of the entire search infrastructure
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
- Interface with the product and other functional teams and their leadership
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 5+ years of experience in software development or a related field
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience with Information Retrieval/Search
- Expertise with Elasticsearch/Solr/Lucene or any other search engine
- Proficiency with the big data processing platform: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Flink, etc
- Proficiency with one object-oriented/object function scripting language: Python, Go, JAVA etc
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Experience with search engine performance optimization
- Familiarity with information Retrieval/NLP/Data Mining/Machine Learning
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.#LI-Remote