Join a mashup of energy enthusiasts and creative tech wizards who are taking the fight to climate change. Disrupt and reimagine the energy experience using modern technologies.
Arcadia is a technology company revolutionizing the energy industry. We make choosing clean energy easy for everyone, no matter where you live or who your utility provider is. Founded in 2015, Arcadia set out with one purpose that continues to drive us today: a 100% clean energy future.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will directly contribute to democratizing access to clean energy by building the technology and infrastructure that make it happen. You’ll work across the infrastructure and application stack, contribute to scalable systems, and dive headfirst into technical material. In doing so, you will unlock a more human relationship with energy; accelerating everyone’s agency to choose renewables, and hopefully stabilize our climate before it’s too late.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a curious and resourceful Site Reliability Engineer to join the Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) team. The ideal candidate is a low-ego team player who has a background building scalable web infrastructure, strongly believes in infrastructure as code, and relishes the chance to take on a highly visible role within a collaborative engineering team. We are looking for an inquisitive problem-solver who approaches engineering problems and potential solutions with a unique, holistic, and long-term perspective, and is genuinely excited to build and support software expanding renewable energy access to millions of households across the country.
We are prioritizing hiring for our DC and NYC offices, but we are open to fully remote candidates residing in CA, CO, DC, GA, IL, MD, NJ, NM, NY, PA,TN, TX, UT, VA, or WA. This person will report to the Engineering Manager on the SRE team, and partner with the entire engineering team as well as data scientists. This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who relishes the chance to engage with cutting-edge technology, influence how our team builds and stays relevant, and work in a fast-paced environment with engineers on a high-morale, tightly knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
Our core stack includes several Ruby on Rails apps, a GraphQL service layer, and a number of React clients. We also have a data pipeline that relies heavily on AWS Lambdas running Python. Our infrastructure is primarily AWS-based, using Cloudformation, and deployed to EKS using best CI/CD practices. In your application, please include a link to GitHub or another place where your code is published, though we understand that not everyone has public code online.
What you'll do:
- Partner with Engineering, Data Analysts, and Product to deliver new application features and functionality through automated testing and deployment
- Design and develop robust, scalable back-end systems that can stand-up to aggressive spikes in traffic and handle heavy data-oriented workloads
- Help evolve and maintain our application infrastructure using Cloud Formation, Kubernetes, Helm charts, and exploring new technologies with the team that can expand on the reliability and security of our systems
- Mentor and guide engineering teammates, empowering them to make good infrastructure and design decisions
- Author and maintain business-critical infrastructure-as-code
What will help you succeed:
- 3+ years of experience in a startup environment as a Site Reliability, DevOps, or Systems Engineer supporting high-availability, large-scale web-based applications
- Experience with Cloudformation or similar (Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience managing and maintaining a resilient, fault-tolerant, containerized cloud infrastructure (ideally on AWS)
- Strong communication skills and the ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, actionable information
- Comfortable managing the balance between deploying necessary infrastructure changes quickly and shipping perfect infrastructure updates
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on project commitments
- Ability and internal drive to problem-solve, both creatively and pragmatically
- Skill with mentoring and learning from other engineers, and treating colleagues with respect
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and drive a clean-energy future
- Experience with common web frameworks and their deployment patterns (Rails, Django, etc.)
- Experience working with data warehouses (Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake etc.)
- Experience with using various datastores including PostgreSQL on RDS, Aurora, Dynamo, and Elasticsearch
- Experience managing event-driven architectures with AWS Lambda, CloudWatch, and SQS
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave)
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.