Site Reliability Engineer at Ascend Software (Portland, OR)
Ascend Software is a fast-growing SaaS company that helps mid-size to enterprise customers automate accounts payable processing through text extraction, machine learning, and powerful integration into their financial systems – saving them millions each year in the process. Our clients include Lemonade, WeWork, Nascar, Panera Bread, PGA Tour, Atlanta Braves, and many more.
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to report directly to the Director of Engineering.
Ascend offers competitive pay, great benefits, unlimited PTO, and flexible work location. Most importantly, we offer the chance to learn, take ownership, and build your career the way you’ve envisioned.
Our Hiring Process: We want the best people on our team. To get them, we’ve built our hiring process around three Ts: thorough, transparent, and thoughtful. No bar-raisers, ninjas, jedis, or ewoks. Just an honest evaluation of what you’ve done, what you’re good at, and what you’re working on improving.
Here’s how it works:
- Screening Interview – video call (30-40 minutes)
- Predictive Index Assessment
- Hiring Manager Interview – video call (90+ mins)
- Peer Interviews – 2 to 4 video calls (30 mins each)
- Reference calls with your last several managers
- Offer Letter
We can’t achieve our goals without you!
Your overall mission will be to:
- Respond to Ascend availability incidents and provide support for engineers with customer incidents
- Use your on-call shift to prevent incidents from ever happening
- Run our infrastructure with Ansible, Pulumi and AWS Systems Manager
- Make monitoring and alerting alert on symptoms and not on outages
- Document every action so your findings turn into repeatable actions–and then into automation.
- Improve the deployment process to make it as boring as possible.
- Work cross-functionally with many teams, product, technical, operations etc
Your day-to-day would include, but not be limited to:
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Plan the growth of Ascend’s infrastructure
- Delivering on system SLAs by implementing necessary best practices
- Monitor systems and take corrective actions per guidelines
- Think through security issues and implement controls to prevent and resolve vulnerabilities
- Perform research and POC's for new software to improve performance and stability
- Manage our CI/CD Systems
- Manage and improve our log analysis systems to ensure optimal search and reporting times
- Be a go-to troubleshooter for our most challenging engineering problems
- Must have deep experience with Amazon Web Services, including EC2, RDS, Lambdas and other AWS high level abstractions
- Deep experience with Docker and orchestration tools like Kubernetes or EKS Expertise in Linux system administration, TLS, DNS, TCP and HTTPS
- Experience building scripted infrastructure with products like Ansible, Pulumi or Terraform
- Experience with observability, monitoring and metrics with tools like Cloudwatch, Honeycomb, Prometheus or Grafana
These are table-stakes. We’ll ask your references about all of them.
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
The strongest applicants will have a strong combination of these.
- Have worked on a cloud-based SaaS product at significant scale in production
- Experience configuring and scripting infrastructure on AWS, Azure or GCP
- Experience with modern web architecture patterns for creating scalable systems
- Experience with modern SQL databases like MSSQL or Postgres
Non-local remote candidates will be considered
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment assessments, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to our People Operations team at [email protected]