Senior Python Developer - Pet Health at Chewy (Minneapolis, MN)
Chewy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer for our Pet Health team. As a Senior Software Engineer you will have development and operational oversight over major systems at Chewy. You will be in charge of evaluating new technologies, designing, developing impactful software capabilities to enhance or create new functionality needed to grow Chewy. You will have the opportunity to be part of a high performing engineering team where we value broad-based technical skills in cloud-based services, databases, security, server less technologies, and more.
Who we are:
We are a team that is customer centric, innovates and experiments in an environment of mutual trust and respect. We take great pride in building highly scalable services using modern methodology, automation and best engineering practices. We celebrate learning from failures as much as we celebrate our success.
Our engineers are creative contributors, visionary leaders, writing artistic code, have laser-sharp focus, use cutting-edge technology and see direct impact of their work. We encourage continuous development and test-driven development.
We are Practice Hub. We are bridging the vet-to-pet parent relationship across the country, and we are only getting started.
Who you are:
- You are highly motivated and have a passion for creating great products and for applying good design principles while exercising pragmatism to keep deadlines
- You're curious, love to learn and to dig into new technologies, and can pick them up quickly
- You can look at code and quickly figure out how it works and how to make it better
- You're a go-getter and seek ownership of projects with the demonstrated ability to deliver results
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills
- You strive to excel, innovate and take pride in your work
What You’ll Do:
- As a Senior Software Engineer you will have development and operational oversight over major systems at Chewy.
- You will have the opportunity to be part of a high performing engineering team where we value broad-based technical skills in cloud-based services, databases, security, server less technologies, and more.
- You will be responsible for ensuring your systems are fully CI/CD
- You will be designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available cloud-based services.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Conduct design and code reviews and raise the bar on engineering rigor and standard
- Debug production issues across services and tech stack
- Continuously measure and optimize the performance, effectiveness, and uptime of backend services
- You will participate in setting guidelines for evolving development practices, as well as mentoring junior engineers
What You’ll Need:
- 5+ years of experience in an object-oriented languages.
- Minimum 3 years of software building Python application services like Django, Flask or FastAPI.
- Be a hands-on Engineer spending significant percentage of their time writing code or debugging tricky issues
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce
- Bachelor's degree (Computer Science or similar technical field of study preferred), or equivalent work experience
- Development experience with GraphQL services (client and server)
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus
- Good communication skills with both technical and business audiences
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform/Ansible/cloud formation, etc.
- Experience with OpenAPI, Swagger, or stoplight.io
- Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, Powershell)
- You’ve made or contributed to open-source projects and have your fair share of side projects
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]