Senior Manager, Site Reliability Engineering-Tools at PlayStation
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
It is an exciting time to be part of SIE’s Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) leadership team! SRE teams operate at the intersection of Software Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering. These teams strive to make the PlayStation Network Platform a highly reliable, scalable, operable and secure product and service. SRE Managers are responsible for leading and enabling teams of engineers that build and operate services which are “always on”, highly performant, and create the foundation on which our platform is delivered to customers.
Are you passionate about leading best in class engineers?
Would you like to help solve large-scale observability challenges?
If you answered “yes” to these questions and you love finding creative ways to demonstrate new technologies – consider joining our team!
The Site Reliability Tools (SRT) team within SIE’s Platform Hosting Engineering organization provides critical services used across SIE to provide visibility into the performance and availability of PlayStation Network services to our players, partners, and other customers. Our teams work closely with developers, operations teams, and leadership to ensure we have the right set of tools to generate, collect, analyze, visualize and alert on operational data, so we know exactly what happens across the PlayStation ecosystem and can see problems before they occur and address them as quickly as possible.Responsibilities
- Lead the teams of software and systems engineers to deliver critical logging, monitoring, tracing, and alerting services across SIE, and be directly responsible for PlayStation's stellar uptime record
- Drive teams to build automation to prevent problem recurrence and automate responses to errors and alerts
- Maintain relationships with 3rd party providers of software and services, to align partner roadmaps with the organization’s needs
- Improve upon and deliver the vision and strategy for observability through collaboration with engineering, operations, and leadership across the entire PlayStation ecosystem
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of your team's technical execution
- Ability to direct a team of managers and highly technical and skilled engineers developing software, delivering services, and operating critical systems at large scale
- Strong collaboration and communication skills with the ability to partner and influence other managers, engineers and executives
- Proven track record of building, growing, and leading technical teams that effectively deliver services following agile principles
- Fluency with running running large scale, high performance, distributed systems while improving the “illities” (reliability, availability, serviceability) of those systems
- Demonstrated experience following software engineering best-practices
- Experience with automation, configuration management, and CICD operating in public cloud environments
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle with experience integrating Open Source tools
- Able to lead teams to solve complex issues across a cloud-based micro-services environment
- Knowledge and experience with operating logging and monitoring systems at scale such as Splunk, CA, Datadog, CloudWatch, ELK, Sensu, Zabbix
- Strong belief in driving operational excellence with owning efficiency and automation at the core of operations
- Passionate about automation and process improvements, with a desire to standardize tools and technologies
- Desire to champion developer needs and integrate them into your teams’ priorities
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach
- Execution oriented and results driven, demonstrating complete ownership of end-to-end solutions
- Customer and peer relationship focused with a proven ability to effectively partner with local and remote groups of internal customers
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to learn new skills/technologies quickly and independently
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 12-15 years professional experience operating systems at scale
- 7-10 years experience leading teams
This role requires occasional travel to other SIE locations around the world.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.