We’re thrilled to announce that we’re hiring to grow our team and our products! 3Play Media offers a truly unique opportunity to work in a small team of developers in a company that offers a startup-minded size and culture while being robustly backed by a steady stream of customers and projects. Every day, our system processes hundreds of hours of video content, helping us to improve and expand the way people consume online media to make more of the web’s video content accessible. We’re also very excited to have a few brand-new products in our pipeline!
We’re looking for an experienced web engineer with a strong backend skillset. This engineer will initially join the Live Captioning team which is building a brand new service for captioning events in real time!. They’ll be making connections between streaming services and utilities (Wowza, FFMPEG, Zoom) our Ruby on Rails web application, using Python to glue it all together. If tying together a bunch of different services sounds like fun, and you aren’t afraid to occasionally touch a user interface, then this is a great role for you!
The 3Play engineering department is small and extremely collaborative. Engineers are empowered to make their own decisions, and propose solutions to the challenges facing our stakeholders. We use a standard 2 week sprint process, and regularly look for ways to improve our process via retrospectives.Role and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain infrastructure for generating captions for live events. This includes sending audio tracks to third party APIs for speech recognition, and then attaching the returned text to live video streams.
- Build the data structures and logic for tracking live captioning, such as invoicing customers, assigning work to contractors, and building
- Work closely with technical and non-technical stakeholders to understand and develop requirements for live captioning solutions.
- Modify existing user interfaces as needed.
- Be ready to contribute expertise on other projects as needed.
- At least 2 years of experience building web applications with a history of working with complex backend systems.
- Experience in modern languages and frameworks such as Ruby On Rails, Django, Node.js, and Python. You’ll be working in Python and Ruby On Rails.
- Experience building infrastructure and connecting disparate systems
- Experience with video tooling is a definite plus, but is not required (ffmpeg, AWS Elemental, 608 captions, Wowza)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Willingness to dive in and learn new things, and curiosity to constantly deepen and broaden your knowledge
- Collaborative view of software development
- Adaptability in an environment where requirements may change quickly
3Play Media is a rapidly growing, profitable technology company with a startup culture making a huge impact on the way people consume online media. We provide premium captioning, transcription, audio description, and translation solutions to over 5,000 higher ed, enterprise, media, and government customers. Our goal is to simplify the workflow through flexible APIs, a secure online account system, and integrations with a multitude of players, platforms, and lecture capture systems. We got our start in 2008 out of MIT Sloan and we are based in Boston, MA.Work Environment
We have an awesome work environment! Our team is hard working, laid back, and fun. We prioritize the ability for our employees to do their work quickly and efficiently without getting stuck in office politics and wasteful meetings. The team is dedicated to building a successful company. We have a spacious office with lots of natural light located in the North End. The work we do is fun, interesting, and gratifying. Your work will have a direct impact on our company’s success.Location
3Play Media is located in Boston, MA – North Washington St on the Green & Orange line and near North Station. We are in the heart of Boston’s thriving North End District. We are located near some of the best restaurants and surrounded by Boston’s buzzing tech scene.Perks
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401K matching program
- Paid vacation, birthday, volunteer days, and sick leave
- Disability and life insurance
- Charitable contribution matching program
- Transportation subsidy
- Company sponsored social events
- Snacks and beverages provided