Senior Engineering Manager, Developer Relations at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
In this role you’ll oversee a team of Engineers and partner with Product Management to create a Developer Relations program from the ground up to support products that are used by developers each day. Examples of current developer products include Rosetta, Coinbase Commerce, Bison Trails and our Retail and Pro Exchange APIs.
Crypto has created new developer communities that are vibrant and exciting. Developers in these communities are focused on building up and down the stack, from enabling payments with crypto to smart contract dApps and interoperability for cross-chain interactions. Coinbase — and its products — will enable developers to create the crypto applications they are dreaming of better, faster, and more easily.
Our Engineering Manager for this role will play an instrumental role in multiplying the effectiveness of our engineering team. You will build and foster strong communities around our developer products through community management and developer advocacy. You’ll need to understand unique problems that face developers on your team — from working with external developer communities, working with teams within Coinbase to help manage their communities and services, to managing documentation, and creating developer focused content and engaging with the community. Your team will be responsible for articulating a clear vision to create awareness and advocacy in the developer communities in the crypto ecosystem, and working with product teams to relay feedback / iterate on developer products based on what the Developer Relations team hears in the community.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Create and execute on a developer relations strategy for key initiatives for Coinbase and support currently active developer products including Rosetta, Coinbase Connect, Custody APIs, and the Bison Trails Infrastructure Platform.
- Engage the crypto developer community through meetups, roadshows, boot camps, hackathons, lectures, and other channels of education.
- Engage the crypto developer community through platforms including Twitch, Twitter, Youtube, Discord, Slack, Element and more.
- Become a subject matter specialist in some of the Coinbase developer products in order to facilitate adoption of the product through developer communities
- Produce and maintain developer-facing docs and training materials for crypto developers
- Partner with various internal teams e.g. product, engineering, and marketing to relay critical community feedback and increase adoption, product usage, and community advocacy.
- Stay on top of the latest trends including the ability to spot bleeding edge topics and opportunities within the crypto and adjacent businesses
- Provide strategic recommendations and partner with the product and engineering team to prioritize a product roadmap
- Work closely with engineers and product managers across teams with developer facing products to create a 12-month strategy for improving the developer communities around these products.
- Coach engineers on your team and help them find fulfilling growth paths.
- Work with the talent team to bring in the best engineers
- Create a positive energy work environment where engineers from all backgrounds can do their best work.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Experience in fostering a global community through user group support and outreach programs
- Data-driven approach to community building, including understanding how to measure the health and success of a developer community.
- The ability to effectively communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences with ease
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and persistence to drive towards outcomes while navigating a dynamic environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and even better listening skills
- At least 5 years of experience as an engineering manager, and a minimum of 2 years of experience working on engineering teams that serve other engineering teams
- At least 2 years of experience managing Managers
- Experience attracting, retaining, and developing extraordinary talent on your team
- Multiple, real world examples of successes and failures as a Manager, and willingness to share what you learned
- Passion for building an open financial system that brings the world together
Nice to haves:
- An engineering background
- Actively engaged in the crypto community
- Experience with crypto technologies.
- Experience writing company-facing blog posts.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.