Security Architect at Appian Corporation (Remote)
Here at Appian, we’re passionate about automation, speed, and efficiency; and the CIO department is a great place to apply these values! From Information Security, Business Technology, to Solution Engineering, joining Appian will provide you with the opportunity to lead technical strategy, execution and communication for all applications to support Appian employees, customers, and partners across the world. Join us, as we work collaboratively to grow Appian across the world.
Appian’s information security team is growing and is seeking a Security Architect (internally titled Principal Security Engineer) to design, build, and support security architecture components for securing Appian’s Product Cloud and Corporate environments. This person will work as a subject matter expert in a dynamic information security team collaborating with other departments involving modern cloud computing technologies and multiple security frameworks. As such, we are looking for a person with a strong technical background and a desire to apply that expertise to decisions that have direct customer impact.
Appian is headquartered in the McLean, Virginia area, and we are supportive of both Remote and Hybrid work environments.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Build and code security tooling detections and technology into our existing corporate and customer infrastructures
- Enhance our security engineering infrastructure and systems that are continuously evaluating the threat-landscape for Appian’s operations and service offerings
- Work directly with technical teams (e.g. Engineering, Cloud, IT) to design, analyze, and/or recommend secure infrastructure and tooling
- Lead/contribute to major projects and initiatives that involve large security tool deployments or engineering efforts
- Work alongside and mentor other junior engineers on the security team
- Contribute ideas to improve the security posture and detections in our security program
- Stay knowledgeable around the cutting edge of information security, threats, tools, and techniques
Some of the tools and resources we will equip you with include:
- We value innovation and investment in our people by providing opportunities for growth and leadership. Whether it’s through Engineering IndieTime (dedicated time to build whatever you want with whomever you want), or annual hackathons, we value activities that inspire others and get creative juices flowing.
- Appian has a large engineering team where you are made to feel autonomous by our engineering business group model. Working within an agile team allows our engineers and leaders to have a sense of community and accomplishment.
- We’ll immerse you into our community rooted in respect starting on day one. Our community is strong and growing! Our affinity groups are a great place to start connecting with peers from all across the globe.
- 6+ years experience with security architecture and design expertise
- 6+ years experience using various security technologies
- 5+ years of software development experience with languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, Go, etc
- 3+ years experience in SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and/or cloud infrastructure development environments (experience with Amazon Web Services is a plus)
- Experience with modern Cloud Native technologies - Kubernetes, Docker, serverless, etc.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, open-source security tools, and security tool development
- Experience with UNIX or its variants, such as Linux
- Expert knowledge about networking protocols and technologies - TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, etc.
- Familiar with common security frameworks such as the Mitre ATT&CK framework and threat hunting concepts to identify IOCs
- Effective communicator of technical designs and vision verbally, visually and/or in writing for small to medium sized technical and non-technical audiences
- Track record of working in a global high-scalable environment
- Excellent at problem solving and a talent for identifying creative solutions
Before Appian was a company, it was an idea. Not about a product or a market, but about the culture needed to sustain innovation and value. Today, we help businesses build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform.
Appian was founded on the belief that talented and passionate people, given the power and autonomy to excel, will deliver amazing impact. We have worked thoughtfully to create an inclusive, agile and collaborative work environment where employees feel challenged, and all voices are heard. We value and encourage cross-departmental collaboration, and actively seek opportunities to better ourselves and others. Creating impact to us means that when we deliver results, we’re focused on lasting positive change.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination .
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.