Production Engineering Support Manager at Invitae
Production Engineering Support Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm Pacific Time
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve! We are a leader in the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our exciting and fast paced Clinical Laboratory Operations Support organization is looking for a dedicated and passionate leader. You can help elevate our operations and technologies to help set a new standard of excellence to better serve our patients, while supporting all aspects of our innovative and industry-leading laboratory automation.
As an integral department with hands-on responsibility to deliver Invitae’s mission, our Production Engineering Support team members have the opportunity to impact patient lives in meaningful and innovative ways, while also gaining valuable skills to advance their career.The Exciting Things You’ll Do
- Oversee day-to-day production line support operations - from asset and vendor management and routine/non-routine maintenance to first tier hardware and software support; ensure team is adequately staffed to complete these tasks and continually assess team capacity needs
- Drive continued process improvement programs to improve production line metrics (up time, down time, utilization, etc.) with a vision of scaling volume year over year
- Manage laboratory equipment assets in collaboration with the finance team
- Provide recommendations and coordinate the introduction of new technologies into the production space through process development, tech transfer and qualification/validation activities as a multi-functional team member
- Foster a culture of safety by following and holding the team members accountable to all internal and external safety protocols and procedures at all times
- Coach and mentor leaders to meet the needs of their team, organization and company and to play a role in the execution of OKRs and other strategic goals
- Develop leads to grow their hard and soft skills to allow for advancement into new opportunities
- Cultivate, inspire and reward innovation
- Lead a team of ~20 Production Support Engineers and Technicians, with 2-3 reports (Production Engineering Support Supervisors)
- Operate as a SME resource in laboratory hardware, such as automated work cells, liquid handlers, cold storage and other ancillary equipment (centrifuges, pipettes, etc.), and software, including LIMS and scheduling software
- Provide guidance and requirements through product development processes to ensure new technologies transfer smoothly into a production setting
- Ensure Quality Assurance and Quality Control Programs are followed and evolve to meet changing business needs
- Guide troubleshooting and resolution of incident reports and CAPAs while driving continuous improvement
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures exist and are kept up to date for all processes conducted by team members. Confirm the team is trained and competent to perform the tasks required of their roles
- Solutions oriented mentality, continuous improvement approach, ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills with an eye for quality and operational excellence in high throughput and regulated production environment
- Domain Expertise in industry standard laboratory equipment hardware/software used in molecular biology laboratories. This includes, but isn't limited to: custom integrated workcells, liquid handling (Hamilton STAR/STARlet/Vantage, Agilent Bravo, Dynamic Devices Lynx), scheduling software (Overlord, GBG), and related equipment (centrifuges, cold storage, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, life science or related studies preferred
- Experience in an ISO 13485/15189, GMP, GLP and or CAP/CLIA environment
- 10+ years experience and 5+ years of leadership experience in a high throughput, highly automated production environment. Prior experience working in an exceptionally sophisticated molecular lab setting a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a diverse population
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created an environment that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability. We also offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.