Principal Software Engineer Full Stack w/ Back End at Ad Hoc
This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across the commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Associate Managing Software Engineers are engineers with an interest and passion for leadership, who focus on growing and supporting the individuals on their teams. They frequently meet with engineers, clients, and stakeholders to translate and communicate technical challenges and roadmaps. This is generally an engineer’s first foray into a role focused primarily on management. We expect associate managing engineers may struggle accepting and operating within new levels of ambiguity and detaching from coding as a primary function while retaining technical proficiency.
As a people leader within engineering, you will build, lead, and develop other members from your practice and ensure they adopt and apply the best practices, principles, and values that are important to the health and quality of the engineering practice and to our customers
- Our Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As a government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
What You'll Do
- Work with engineers on their teams to provide career advice, set and track goals, and help address ambiguity and uncertainty through documentation and process.
- Generate and deliver regular reports on program status.
- Prepare and lead incident response processes.
- Elaborate and present on the program’s ongoing work, future goals, and risks.
- Planning and executing on roadmaps for new projects without explicit guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Actively participate in conversations and planning sessions with partners and key stakeholders, and represent the engineering practice while advocating for the best technical solutions and communicating tradeoffs.
- Periodically travel to the client site to work with and present to partners and stakeholders.
- Elaborate and evolve complex and ambiguous products to uncover new constraints and opportunities.
- Effectively communicate on existing systems, design decisions, past performance, and a major history of the projects that they’ve been part of for bid-writing, tech demos, and other potentially client-facing communications.
- Inform program leadership of the health of your team and contribute to evaluation of team members, written or otherwise, including performance reviews.
- Participate in technical depth interviews with new candidates
- Manage performance, in terms of both craft and associated competencies relevant to career development, for assigned individuals within engineering. This includes supporting program managers in hiring, onboarding, and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Provide coaching and development to engineering team members, which includes regular 1-on-1s, define growth goals and development plans with individuals, and creating a culture where team members can learn and evolve.
What You'll Bring
- Understand how to prioritize and drive goals with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience developing and coaching other engineers
- The ability to lead a team in an ambiguous environment
- Programming in a major open source language, such as Ruby on Rails
- Proficient spelling, grammar, and communication skills
- Experience and understanding of one or more different agile methodologies, including Scrum, XP, or SAFe
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular EC2, S3, and RDS
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility . The range of starting pay for this role is $113,900 - $149,040 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.