Principal Software Engineer - Developer Relations at Fastly (Remote)
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Principal Engineer (Community) - Developer Relations
The purpose of developer relations at Fastly is to inspire and enable our customers and future customers to do more interesting, exciting, and valuable things with our technology, making them happier and more successful.
We do this by building and maintaining tools, creating demos and examples, writing technical documentation, maintaining reference material, and cultivating a community.
Right now we are reimagining our community platform and our approach to external engagement, and as we create the space for people to share and help each other, we are looking for someone to nurture that community with us.
You'll be someone who likes to inspire and delight people, and comfortable communicating with a diverse audience with a wide range of technical abilities and interests. You know how to distil the information that a customer needs to solve a problem and 'level up' their understanding of our technology. You think about systems in terms of human interaction, and instinctively know how to optimize for the most delightful developer experience.
You'll be motivated by creating positivity and excitement and by the curiosity of sharing and exploring other people's problems, use cases and fascinations.
This role is limited to non-US only.
What You'll Do
- Monitor public mentions of Fastly on social media and third party communities like Stack Overflow and Reddit.
- Engage and respond on targeted technical issues
- Identify opportunities for other senior Fastlyans to be effective in external conversations and surface those opportunities to enable more Fastly voices to be heard
- Work with developers in the community to explore their ideas and solutions
- Create demos and examples for the developer hub
- Write and perform talks at relevant conference and meetups online and globally in person
- Connect developers who have relevant use cases or Fasly experiences to colleagues in the product or engineering teams, to help ensure the right perspectives shape our product development.
What We're Looking For
- Experience in working with diverse engineering practitioners and the ability to quickly develop an understanding of a technology sufficient to use it to build a demo or proof of concept.
- A passion for learning, teaching and sharing knowledge
- A positive, inclusive, kind attitude with a memorable personality. An existing public following is a significant benefit.
- A preference for working on a variety of projects rather than becoming a specialist in a single one.
- A high standard of idiomatic written and spoken English. Proficiency in a second language is a bonus.
- Someone comfortable to stand on a stage and represent Fastly, bringing your passion for our technology to others at events across the world.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.