Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables PR teams to work together to find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, build meaningful relationships with the media, monitor news, and quantify their impact.
Self-funded, globally distributed, and growing quickly, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Crains, G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
Muck Rack is looking to hire a Platform Engineer to join our team and help bridge engineering and DevOps. You will work closely with the VP of Engineering, Matt Dennewitz, as well as the backend and devops teams on managing and scaling our app’s underlying platform and core services. This opportunity will have a lot of greenfield architecture opportunities.What You’ll do:
- Straddle both coding and operations
- Work on backend architecture, developing and designing core services
- Develop and improve systems for monitoring, alerting and analysis to ensure site health
- Take on part of the responsibility for the operation of the application, delivery and high availability
- 4+ years of professional experience with Python, MySQL, and AWS; including managing high traffic sites and scaling/managing large data platforms
- Experience with performance profiling, monitoring, and observability
- Ability to architect and design performant, scalable, and secure software that supports requirements of specific features
- Understanding of DevOps principles
- Knowledge of Celery or other task, streaming, or batch processing frameworks (e.g. Luigi, Spark, Airflow)
- Experience with Elasticsearch is a plus (especially if you’ve indexed and managed large volumes of data or have worked on a product heavily dependent on search)
- Experience with event streaming platforms like Kafka is a plus
- Experience in big data, horizontally scalable databases, NoSQL databases or columnar databases is a plus (e.g. Cassandra, Dynamo)
- Autonomous self-starter who functions well with high level direction
- Clear communicator with both technical and less technical stakeholders (verbally and in writing)
- High level of personal accountability
- Collaborative, with the ability to give and receive feedback and ask for help or support when necessary
- Logical problem solver
- Analytical systems-thinker who can also rely on intuition and experience
- Understands systems at a high-level but flexible and willing to jump into handle specific issues
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Platform Engineer role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- A 1 hour zoom interview with the hiring manager
- Take-home assignment (2 hours max)
- Final interview with several team members, including a code discussion
In the US, the base salary for this role is between $140,000 and $170,000, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employees and their families. We offer a select plan with 100% premium coverage for individuals and 70% premium coverage for dependents, as well as a range of other plans. Our team also has access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Flexible Spending Account. Team members have access to a quarterly wellness stipend and a free Headspace subscription.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 10+ paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Self-funded means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.