Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, life-saving medical supplies on multiple continents, 7 days a week. We have completed over 200,000 deliveries; it took over 4 years to reach the first 100,000 deliveries. It took 8 months to reach the last 100,000 deliveries. Do you want to be a part of reaching 1 million life-saving deliveries in the next 2 years?
We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate at global scale, we’re growing our perception capabilities, to expand quickly and safely into new products and locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. Our perception team is looking for a generalist software engineer with expertise in one of several perception-related areas, who is passionate about developing and shipping perception systems for the real world.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to evaluate, select and calibrate next-generation sensor configurations for our vehicles
- Leverage a deep understanding of state estimation, object tracking, and mapping techniques to design integrated solutions that enable our highly maneuverable aircraft to perceive general aviation aircraft, power lines, radio towers and other challenging obstacles, so that we can steer clear of, dodge, or otherwise avoid them
- Design perception systems that can understand and communicate when they are not working well.
- Build software infrastructure to enable algorithmic improvement by leveraging our large-scale fleet data
- Understand the inner workings of the full perception stack, sometimes all the way down to the signal processing at our sensors, to uncover edge cases and make safety determinations
- Identify and mitigate bottlenecks in our evaluation tools and processes
- Work closely with the behaviors team to help inform path planning and real-time decision-making in response to perception outputs
- You have deep expertise in one or more of the following areas: robot perception; computer vision; machine learning; sensor fusion; state estimation; object detection, classification, and tracking; SLAM; 3D mapping, phased-array design; signal processing.
- Awareness of the theory and practice of modern machine learning techniques
- Hands-on experience with robot perception projects (2+ years).
- Experience working with production software. You are able to understand and contribute to high-quality software for a complex system.
- Strong skills in linear algebra, coordinate transforms, statistics/probability, and optimization.
- Strong software engineering skills, with mastery of relevant languages like Python and C++
- Generalist mindset, with the ability to work cross platform, from spooling up cloud compute services to optimizing for embedded systems
- Experience building reproducible data pipelines
- Experience deploying perception solutions on real robots
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!