Manager, Software Engineering at Carvana (Atlanta, GA)
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 50,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our company introduction video or learn more about what it’s like to work here from the people that already do.
About The Team and Position
We're looking to add an intrepid, people-first leader to our Decision Support Systems (DSS) team. At the helm of this group, you’ll enable optimizations and intelligence across the Supply Chain by providing software development expertise to the team, creating data pipelines and exposing powerful models to engineering systems throughout the organization.
The DSS team is the tip of the spear for innovation in Carvana Logistics, Inventory and Fulfillment engineering. Our group creates systems and models that:
- Enable transportation of cars through the Carvana network and to the customer.
- Load balance and optimize our logistics network and routing for our delivery hubs
- Power delivery estimates and availability to our customers
- Drive powerful analytics that drive decisions for supply chain and logistics
- Enable efficient operational processes
As Carvana drives forward toward our goal of selling 2+ million cars in a year, our systems will rely on big data, making big decisions, and empowering bold moves. Our team will be the muscle behind that charge. We endeavor to codify intelligence and share these smarts via friendly & reliable APIs, performant and effective algorithms, and intelligent data analysis that empower our other engineering, product and analytics partners to tackle hard supply chain & logistics problems.
We are a dynamic group, composed of data scientists, software engineers, and product leaders, dedicated to pushing Carvana to 2 million cars and beyond. Our team takes the lead in pioneering new business initiatives, testing ideas, and moving the needle for stakeholders all across the company through smart software solutions. Our culture is built upon 3 simple pillars: passion for your work, freedom with responsibility, and genuine empathy for each other and the customers we serve. Together, we can build anything!
Your Day in Five Bullets
- Building, deploying, and monitoring resilient, observable systems, with an eye on constant improvement and innovation using existing and new technologies to continuously drive the Carvana software engineering processes to the next level.
- Collaborating with other delivery teams in the supply chain to assess needs, collect requirements, and propose scalable data science and optimization solutions for our biggest operational challenges.
- Partner with data warehousing and operational analytics teams to develop right architecture and best data management practices to advance Business Intelligence and AI/ML techniques.
- Working with a lean team focused on rapid, incremental delivery driven by light, agile practice.
- Mentoring other awesome developers, data scientists and analysts, and assisting them in improving code quality, and achieving their personal and professional goals.
The Engineering Prerequisites
- You are passionate about software. You care deeply about creating and maintaining performant, readable, testable, and reusable code. You conduct code reviews, and you work together toward collective self-improvement.
- You love developing thoughtful APIs. You treat your clients like friends, and you believe your APIs aren’t good, unless people like to consume them.
- You love data. Data is your friend, and you can design structures and implement practices that help create value and information from raw data.
- You are passionate about telemetry. Your teams measure everything, and tirelessly look for improvements. You are the first to know when something is wrong, and your teams are ready to respond when they do.
- You love testing. You believe testing is as fundamental as ideation and you have developed thoughtful philosophies about what to test, how to test it, and why. This passion flows through your team.
- You do work, to make it easier to do work. You proactively identify gaps in tooling, or recurring pain points, and you fill those gaps to make the lives of others better.
The Four Cardinal Virtues:
- Must be selfless.
- Must be kind.
- Must be brave.
- Must be curious.
What you should have
- At least 3 years of experience leading engineers and other engineering leaders.
- Good communication and collaboration skills; comfortable discussing projects with anyone from end users up to the executive company leadership.
- Proven work history in software engineering with experience in software design and with object oriented languages.
- A comprehensive understanding of software craftsmanship ideals - clean code principles, unit testing fundamentals, design pattern selection and application, architectural pattern selection, and application.
- Experience with SQL.
- An understanding and experience with designing and implementing APIs.
- Experience working in and leading the charge in an Agile environment.
- A good understanding of design patterns and N-Tier architecture.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a related field, or professional experience working with related technologies.
- Great interpersonal skills including a positive attitude.
It would be great if you also had
- Python experience
- Background in supply chain or logistics related industries
- Background in statistical methods and optimization
What does our growth have to do with you?
Only everything. Are you not sure you meet 100% of the qualifications? You should still give it a shot! Research shows that men will apply to a job when only meeting 60% of the requirements, whereas women and members of other systematically marginalized groups typically only apply when they meet every single requirement. At Carvana, we're builders. We build tools, business, and our people. We value diversity in backgrounds and thought, so take a shot and apply! Please highlight some of your accomplishments in your resume and cover letter so we can talk about how you can grow with us.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing Fortune 500 companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.