Lead Software Engineer (Nashville, TN)
At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage Engineers from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time hybrid position in Orlando (FL), Chicago (IL), Nashville (TN), or Austin (TX) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy is looking for a Lead Programmer to join our world-class engineering team and help lead a team. Programmers at Iron Galaxy work on a wide variety of projects, including creating new games from the ground up, co-developing games with partners, and porting existing games to new platforms. Our projects tend to have shorter development cycles; it’s not uncommon for a programmer to work on more than one project in a year. We have found that this helps keep things fresh and provides opportunities to utilize experience gained from previous projects.
As a Lead Programmer, you will be expected to lead a small to medium-sized team, estimate and schedule work, contribute directly to features and systems, and provide guidance and feedback to help your team grow. Responsibilities vary based on the project, and we will also aim to place you on projects that play to your strengths while also giving you room to grow. Here are some examples of what a Lead Programmer might be expected to do.
- Provide feedback and mentorship to direct reports
- Identify and schedule work for a project, system, or feature
- Create a technical design document for a new system or feature
- Review a game design document for a feature and provide feedback
- Implement low-level subsystems for a new platform
- Implement a new feature or system, or extend an existing one
- Lead an evaluation team to provide information for a project bid
- Previous leadership/management experience
- Significant experience at a game studio (any size)
- Deep understanding of C/C++
- Strong debugging skills
- Development experience on at least one game console
- Able to adapt to new codebases and platforms
- Passion for personal development and mentoring others
If you have not worked in a professional capacity as a software engineer in game development, please describe how your programming skills from your experience will translate to this position in your cover letter.
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level.