Lead Software Engineer - Remote at Optum
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
In this position the candidate will have an opportunity to drive technical standards, platform design, and technical ownership related to a modernization and build out of a foundational data platform effort. The candidate will have ownership and accountability of design decisions and direction as well as platform strategy driving high quality, scalable, and resilient data capabilities focused on seamless and configurable data exchange and real-time integrations. Initial work will be dedicated to platform design/architecture, capability discovery, and execution planning. In the second phase they will be accountable to provide direction and drive team leads solving complex business/data problems using industry best practices based on the agreed upon platform design. Candidate must be a quick learner and have excellent communication skills. A passion for growing and defining a true engineering culture while mentoring and guiding engineers with varying experience is a must.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Facilitate delivery in a cross-functional team of software engineers, quality engineers, and systems analysts in DevOps delivery of a software platform
- This role includes, but not limited to, analysis, design, coding, engineering, testing, debugging, setting standards, evaluating methods, evaluate new tools and automation, research and development, support maintenance, new development, operations and delivery
- Coordinate efficient and effective agile delivery processes and contribute to operational enhancements
- Collaborate with delivery team and business stakeholders to design robust and reusable solutions, as well as facilitate the translation to technical designs
- Collaborate and influence proactive system monitoring practices and strategies to help identify issues prior to customer impact
- Promote a mindset and culture within the team that embraces identifying, owning, and solving issues, driving quality, improving performance, and improving the customer experience
- Estimate delivery effort, as well as effectively identify and prioritize high-value deliverables
- Assist in story definition, evaluation, translation, and business requirements gathering from product owners and business stakeholders
- Communicate effectively with peers and subordinates to drive efficient team delivery
- Collaborate in continuous planning with business stakeholders and other technology team leaders to ensure a successful delivery plan is available for business priorities
- Mentor software engineers and lead software engineering code quality and best practices (e.g., test best practices, design patterns, code smells, etc.)
- Influence the team for higher productivity through Scaled Agile principles
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience with Java
- 6+ years of experience with application persistence layers and related design choices (e.g., SQL, NoSQL, etc.)
- 4+ years of experience working with, and contributing to, the design of complex technical architectures in resilient and high-scalability environments
- 4+ years with API/streaming
- 4+ years of experience implementing or contributing to optimizing modern agile delivery processes (e.g., SCRUM, Kanban, SAFe, etc.)
- 4+ years of experience using Git source control
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience with Security
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada/New York City residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment