High Performance Compute Site Engineer at Hewlett Packard Enterprise (Houston, TX)
High Performance Compute Site Engineer
This role has been designated as 'Edge', which means you will primarily work outside of an HPE office.
HPE is looking for an experienced Linux High Performance Computing Support Engineer to serve the Houston and greater Texas market in hardware/software issue resolution, system management, and break-fix.
- Apply advanced technical knowledge to operate one or more technology areas (e.g. server administration, technical security management, performance management) or customer groups that are critical or high- risk.
- Integrate technical knowledge and business understanding to create solutions for customers.
- Resolve single- and cross- technology incidents independently. Work with team members to resolve unusually complex or cross- technology incidents.
- Proactively and reactively look for solutions to prevent problems from occurring in team/technology area.
- Apply company solutions to meet highly complex customer needs.
- Identify additional services that could lead to future service revenue growth.
- Provide technical consulting during contract renewal discussions.
- Build and maintain strong relationship up to senior management level in assigned accounts.
- Design and deliver support solutions using specific industry knowledge and expertise.
- Assist in managing delivery of industry support solutions.
- Lead Customer Expectation management as part of escalation process.
- Lead cross-team or large programs/projects.
- Coach or guide junior consultants.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree preferred or Associate degree (technical field) with 5- 7 years working experience in related field desired.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Linux/Unix operating systems, networking and security
- 2+ years of HPC-related experience, ideally with large-scale HPC, parallel file systems (Lustre), and their administration and support
- Direct experience and demonstrated proficiency with multiple programming and scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python, C, Fortran, etc.)
- Familiar with maintaining system software through installation of upgrades and patches as needed
- Experience in effectively isolating hardware and software problems and driving issue resolutions through to conclusion
- Experience with project planning and management, process management and team or project leadership
- Ability to clearly document processes and procedures with a focus on mentoring and sharing knowledge
- Occasional travel for training and to support remote systems is required
- Participate in on-call rotation with other staff to provide 24x7 coverage to a group of customers
- Ability to routinely lift and carry 30-pound hardware components
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, customer relations and problem management skills, with the ability to stay calm and professional under pressure while working to strict deadlines
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Thorough knowledge of company products and services offerings, company organization, competition, third party products and market trends.
- Ability to lead and work effectively in a team environment to investigate and resolve complex problems
- Active listening skills and ability to adjust messages to audience level.
- Able to employ exemplary consulting skills by becoming a trusted advisor to the customer and providing clarity to solution determination.
- Proactive recognition and recommendations of operational efficiencies.
What we bring to you
Extensive benefits, a competitive salary and participation in the shared values and purpose that make Hewlett Packard Enterprise one of the world's most attractive employers! At HPE, our goal is to provide equal opportunities, flexible work-life balance, and constantly evolving career growth.
If you are looking for challenges in an exciting, supportive and international work environment, then we definitely want to hear from you. Continue the conversation by clicking apply now below, or directly via our Careers Portal at www.hpe.com/careers.
Join us and make your mark!
Find out more about us and follow us on:
Diversity and Inclusion
HPE is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Veterans/Disabled/LGBT and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to diversity and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate and all decisions we make are made on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. Our goal is to be one global diverse team that is representative of our customers, in an inclusive environment where we can continue to innovate and grow together.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is EEO F/M/Protected Veteran/ Individual with Disabilities.
HPE will comply with all applicable laws related to the use of arrest and conviction records, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.