Engineering Manager at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
As a decentralized, remote-first company, Coinbase is able to benefit from talent pools all over the world and India has long been known as a hub for engineering and technology innovation.
Over the last 7 years, we’ve built the leading cryptocurrency platform in the world, serving over 30 million customers in more than 100 countries. As we look towards the next billion customers, and realizing our vision of creating an open financial system for the world, we’re growing our team to help us build a world-class customer experience.
This is where you come in - we’re hiring a senior engineering leader to drive our backend platform efforts, with a primary focus on decomposing our Rails monolith into Go services. You’ll work with our technical engineering leaders to create the multi-year roadmap for making backend engineering at Coinbase a joy. To help drive this roadmap, you’ll embed with our backend product teams and listen to their customer needs, working together to accelerate their efforts. If you’re passionate about cryptocurrency, hard engineering problems, and enabling product teams to build great user experiences, this is the place to be.
As you’re thinking about joining us, it may be helpful to know that there are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning (read more about our values here). Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours: we default to trust, embrace feedback, celebrate thoughtful failure, and expect sustained high performance. These cultural signposts help us work together as a championship team (read our full culture doc here). Finally, we’re looking for people who are excited about our mission — building an open financial system for the world, powered by crypto and blockchain.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Implement the multi-year strategy for backend engineering for our Consumer product (coinbase.com) with the technical leadership on your team
- Coach your direct reports to have a positive impact on the organization and chart a fulfilling career path.
- Be a thoughtful technical voice and support your team in making diligent architectural decisions.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Work with our talent organization to source and hire amazing engineers who will expand the Coinbase culture and product.
- Add positive energy in every meeting, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
- Contribute to owning and delivering processes drive engineering quality and meet our engineering SLAs.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- At least 5 years of experience in software engineering.
- At least 2 years of engineering management experience.
- Comfortable managing engineers working across iOS, Android, and React Native
- You have designed, built, and scaled production mobile applications
- You know what high quality code — and software engineering processes — look like and know how to foster an environment that creates them.
- You’re passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
- Must be able to read, write and speak in English.
Nice to haves:
- You’ve built financial, high reliability or security systems.
- You’ve scaled web or mobile applications to millions of users.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.