Engineering Manager, Pricing/ML at Opendoor
| San Francisco, CA
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:17 p.m. (CST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager on our Pricing Engineering team who can help optimize our pricing systems to serve both the business as well as our customers. Pricing is at the heart of what makes Opendoor a viable business, and we need expertise in data, machine learning, and tooling to build systems that help us deliver optimal prices to serve our customers and manage towards our P&L. You will mentor and lead teams of Engineers to build sophisticated algorithms, world class tooling, rigorous strategic experiments, and be a thought partner for our data science and business counterparts,, all while getting first hand experience scaling a complex business and growing an organization You will lead, manage, and inspire engineers to ship software that solves customer problems. As a hands-on leader with a bias towards action, you’ll help the team fulfill complex technical, operational, and business requirements.
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Help build and lead great software teams to deliver world-class products
- Support and grow your direct reports and peer teams
- Champion engineering and data science, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers
- Working closely with product and data science, help engineers gain business context, improve prioritization skills, and hone their craft
- Promote an engaged, product-focused, positive engineering culture
- Uncover better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it
We are looking for teammates who have:
- BS or higher degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- Quantitative experience, either via previous job experience or a degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
- 4+ years of experience building production software systems
- 5+ years managing data related products (ads, recommendations, fraud)
- Fluency in full stack web development (e.g. React, API design, Rails, Postgres)
- Prior experience with data processing technology (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) and workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, dbt)
- Proven ability to use data and metrics to drive decisions
- History of independently leading cross-functional projects and prioritizing work based on business impact
- Ability to understand the needs of stakeholders, define business requirements, and architect systems that will scale and extend to accommodate them over time
- Expertise breaking down complex problems, documenting solutions, and sequencing work to make iterative improvements
- A sense of ownership and a passion for delighting customers through innovation and creative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent communication skills and high attention to detail
- Experience hiring, mentoring, and leading teams of full stack, backend, and MLEs
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Read Full Job Description