Engineer Senior - Operations Research Analyst / Mission Analyst at Ball Aerospace (Orange County)
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Tactical Solutions Strategic Business Unit delivers mission system solutions, from specialized antennas to electro-optical technologies, to the warfighter. Our systems enhance the performance of various military platforms, from aircraft and land vehicles to ships and satellites, and give warfighters the advantage they need to take action, identify targets and defend against evolving threats.
Engineer Senior - Operations Research Analyst / Mission Analyst
The Ball Aerospace Tactical Solutions business unit pursues and executes development and production programs that apply radio-frequency (RF) and electro-optical and infrared (EOIR) technologies to the nation's defense needs in C4ISR, precision strike, air dominance, and electronic warfare. Ball Aerospace Tactical Solutions employs mission analyses to identify customer capability gaps and participate in development programs that lead to long-term mission-enabling capabilities for the Warfighter. We value speed, agility, and superb operational performance in all dimensions of our business.
This is an opportunity to join Ball Aerospace's Tactical Solutions operations research and mission analysis team. We are looking for highly motivated and talented individuals who are interested in solving challenging problems in support of U.S. national security and defense. Our team is seeking enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about new technology; are strategic "big-picture" thinkers; have constant drive to learn; have strong technical, analytical, creative, and visualization skills; and have an interest in collaborating as part of a team of dedicated technical professionals.
What You'll Do:
- Lead and define mission analysis studies to help drive cutting edge technology developments for Ball Aerospace and our customers from a top-level mission-focused perspective.
- Identify or create tools or frameworks for performing modeling and simulation/analysis of military systems and next-generation technology solutions to assess overall mission impact.
- Research existing military systems to understand and characterize their technical performance and possible shortfalls and propose solutions to fill any identified gaps.
- Model future military systems at appropriate fidelity using sound analytical judgement to fill in incomplete information.
- Perform trade studies and analyze simulation results to draw meaningful mission-driving conclusions.
- Communicate complex analytical techniques and results clearly and concisely to audiences of varying technical expertise
- Prepare and deliver technical briefings and reports to internal audiences, contractor, and government decision makers
- Use internally developed MATLAB modeling frameworks and commercial/government provided tools
- Lead more junior analysts in defining their work assignments, checking their work for accuracy, and providing guidance and feedback
- Contribute to updating and implementing group vision while upholding and promoting group Core Values
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capability Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in engineering, physics, mathematics, operations research, or other technical discipline is preferred.
- A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
- Current access to Special Access Programs is preferred
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as a strategic, out-of-the-box thinker.
- Strong computer skills and scripting/programming experience is required, MATLAB preferred
- Broad academic backgrounds including academic research experience is preferred.
- Ability to independently research new topics of interest.
- Ability to document analysis results, write reports and present findings to audiences at varying technical levels
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interface with technicians, peers, senior-level engineers, business development, management.
- Existing DoD Secret, DoD Top Secret, or TS/SCI security clearance granted within the previous six (6) years.
- Current access to Special Access Programs.
- Experience evaluating air-vehicle, sensor, or weapon performance and survivability.
- Electronic Warfare modeling and simulation experience.
- Remote sensing and/or communication theory experience.
- RF and/or EOIR system or mission-level modeling experience.
- Knowledge of surface and airborne military systems, operations, and Integrated Air Defense Systems (IADS).
- Experience with military modeling environments (Brawler, Suppressor, AFSIM, EADSIM, ESAMS, etc).
- Object Oriented programming experience, MATLAB preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.