Lucid is a research technology (ResTech) platform that provides programmatic access to first-party data. With respondents in more than 100 countries, Lucid enables anyone, in any industry, to survey online audiences and get the answers they need. These answers reveal the sentiments, motivations, and behaviors of target demographics – data that can be used to build business strategies, measure the impact of digital advertising, publish research, and more. Founded in 2010, Lucid is headquartered in New Orleans, LA with offices throughout the US, Europe, and Asia.
The Director, Software Engineering will be responsible for the most important element within Lucid’s data. This area expects to rapidly expand traffic by an expected 100x throughout the next 5 years and will require a strong leadership layer to control the speed of development while enforcing engineering standards. Positive motivation and career building should be one of your strongest skills. These teams are strong and trained to talk back, provide opinions and express concerns; this should be fostered and grown. Be prepared for good debates on architecture, schema and standards.
This role is open to candidates living in the United States to work remotely or from one of our US-based office locations (New Orleans, Dallas, New York)
The ideal candidate for this role will have 5+ years of Engineering Management experience
- Manage Engineers and technical leads
- Career coaching and making sure the teams have adequate resources
- Empower teams to self-organize
- Ensure the teams always have clear priorities
- Build and maintain relationships with downstream teams (customers), cross-functional teams, business units
- Direct architectural designs necessary for scaling and stability during fast paced growth
- Drive performance optimization efforts across teams
- Continue a drive toward engineering standards and process streamlining
- Make critical decisions that contribute to the success of the product
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with stakeholders and customer teams
- Work closely with Product and PMO to build the brand and messaging of the team
- Manage oncall support for multiple tier1 services
- 5+ years of engineering leadership experience
- BS+ or equivalent experience as an engineering leader
- Ability to be nimble, proactive and comfortable working with minimal specs
- Experience with short release cycles on a product that has been released for general consumption
- History of hiring, mentoring, managing engineers and growing careers.
- Building teams and assigning decision making to the proper levels
- Agile/Scrum, and how to manipulate processes to fit a team’s needs
- Experience in leading software best practices; code reviews, CI, build processes, testing, documentation and incident response
- Well practiced in communicating with Product, PMO, other engineering teams and occasionally end users to describe features and technical designs
Lucid's Hiring Commitment
We understand that many candidates may not be perfectly qualified for a job posting. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable – and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of dedication, impact, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is near the desired qualifications.
We also know that diversity of background and thought can enhance problem-solving and encourage more creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.
At Lucid we foster a collaborative and inspiring workplace. We pride ourselves in doing this by recruiting, hiring and retaining diverse, passionate, and forward-thinking talent. Lucid is committed to and encourages an inclusive environment and we are dedicated to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Read Full Job Description