- Drive the technical strategy across Search and Recommendations in a fast-paced, innovation-focused environment.
- Set the group up for success on the march towards 1B Monthly Active Users, which will require a deep thinking across a broad range of technologies, talent, team shape etc.
- Collaborate with talented engineers, product, UX / Design to set and execute group-level goals which impact the core Canva experience
- People leader across engineering in Search and Recommendations group, coaching and supporting the team leads
- Scale engineering within the group to meet the growing needs of an ever more personalized content discovery journey.
- Further up-level the technical capabilities of the group by bringing on board world-class talent and deep experts via partnering with Canva's Talent Acquisition team where needed and identifying and developing emerging leaders within the group
- Nurture the progression of current members within the team, creating a team for the present and future needs of Canva
- Foster a culture of communication, bridging the communication gap between teams, group, and company leadership
- Coordinating and communicating across various specialties and parts of the business to understand the impact and feasibility of strategic goals within the group
- Ensure the Search and Recommendations group is constantly working towards delivering on the high impact efforts by continuously assessing current and future business needs
Required Experience and Background
- Five or more (5+) years of experience leading teams across disciplines in a Search or Recommendations product environment or similar.
- Demonstrated ability to lead large transformative efforts that involves a large number of people and makes a broad impact on the organization.
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer - and still in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles. You should have strong technical and people leadership skills to be successful in this role
- Invested in working with engineers on growth and development opportunities to help further their skill set and grow into new roles, with an ability to deliver relevant and timely feedback (positive & constructive) to help them continuously improve and learn
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of internal stakeholders, and identify opportunities to empower them to do their best work
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, psychological safety, no-blame mentality and engineering values
Helpful Experience (not required)
- An understanding of search services built on Elasticsearch or SOLR would be beneficial
- Previous technical background in Search, Recommendations, Machine Learning, or AI domain
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Vibe and Thrive Allowance to support health and wellness
- Travel allowance for interstate employees
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations