Director of Engineering Applications at Invitae
Remote - Anywhere in U.S.
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
The Director of Engineering - Applications role is an engineering leadership role that will lead the development of all end user applications on the Ciitizen platform. Ciitizen is a health technology platform that enables patients with cancer and rare neurologic disorders to collect, digitize, and share their health information. This includes a wide array of consumer and enterprise products used by a variety of customers including patients, providers, biopharma, advocacy, and HIEs. Specific examples of these applications include the Patient Portal, Clinical Trial Matching, Healthcare Services Marketplace, Patient Cohort Manager, and Prism Reporting.
This role collaborates with several product and platform engineering teams to design, deliver, and iterate on these products. In particular, this role will partner closely with both Product Management and Product Design across the product lifecycle – from discovery to delivery. Given this, having a product owner mentality will be essential to anyone who takes on this role in order to improve our ability to deliver products that are highly valuable, usable, viable, and feasible.
Finally, the role will also be responsible for developing and mentoring the Applications Engineering team, providing technical mentorship around Front End and Full Stack application development, and developing a culture of quality and accountability.
This role is based out of the Invitae offices in Palo Alto, California but can be 100% remote. It will report into CTO/VP of Engineering and be responsible for the applications engineering team, engineering planning, execution, quality and delivery.Role and Responsibilities
Director of Engineering - Applications will be responsible for the following:
- Setup and manage engineering processes for front end applications development, including technical design, planning and delivery.
- Setup the vital quality practices like unit test coverage, test case coverage to ensure high quality of work
- Lead, grow and mentor a team of front end and full stack engineers and build a culture of ownership and accountability
- Setup clear goals in the form of OKRs and career roadmap for each team member. The OKRs should be aligned with the overall engineering and company goals.
- Participate in weekly leadership meetings and present the development status via a dashboard.
- Perform sprint retrospectives to identify issues and improvements in the engineering processes
- Setup and proactively review the development metrics like sprint burndown, open bugs, velocity, code reviews, etc. for individuals as well as across the team
- Collaborate closely with various partners in product discovery including opportunity framing, prioritization, and solution validation
- Establish a collaborative process with product management and QA by defining the entry and exit criteria and hand off between the teams.
- Build a relationship of trust and a collaborative approach with Product Management and QA leadership
- Work with remote or outsourced partners to get turnkey projects done.
- Manage remote teams or contractors as a part of augmented engineering team
- Build a proficient team of dedicated and curious individuals who take ownership, accountability and pride in their work.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Design, Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields or equivalent experience in product leadership roles
- Proficiency in building software products, and at least 5 years in leadership and engineering management roles
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Hands on experience with project planning, sprint planning, release planning and management
- Proven track record of mentoring engineering teams, demonstrating leadership skills and leading by example
- Experience with mentoring engineering teams and instilling the values of quality and accountability.
- Proficiency using Feature Flags, A/B tests, and deep expertise with tools like JIRA
- Hands on expertise with CI/CD is highly desirable (Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes)
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve built a culture that empowers our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive pay in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.