Controls Test Engineer
Job Number: 54462
Group: Magna Corporate
Division: Magna Services of America (Troy Office)
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
At Magna, we create technology that disrupts the industry and solves big problems for consumers, our customers, and the world around us. We're the only mobility technology company and supplier with complete expertise across the entire vehicle.
We are committed to quality and continuous improvement because our products impact millions of people every day. But we're more than what we make. We are a group of entrepreneurial-minded people whose collective expertise gives us a competitive advantage. World Class Manufacturing is a journey and it's our talented people who lead us on this journey.
Magna Corporate R&D in Troy, Michigan is seeking a talented and self-motivated Controls Test Engineer to be a part of the Advanced Robotics Group, which creates new automation solutions that improve overall efficiencies using advanced robotic technologies. This position will play a key part in the Advanced Robotics Group and be a part of a tightly knit development team that creates advanced manufacturing solutions for the future.
- Program logic sequence for vision-guided robotic pick and place cells, for validation and testing in the lab as well as for production use.
- Develop new programming templates from scratch for robotic cells that are re-usable and scalable to a wide variety of vision-guided robotics applications.
- Understand system requirements, work with the team to establish and validate the operational windows, design experiments, and define test plans.
- Design, setup and realize the test systems, including, but not limited to, acquiring appropriate hardware (e.g., fixtures, sensors, actuators), interfacing electrical or computer systems (e.g., data acquisition systems), and writing interface software (e.g. software driver, GUI).
- Execute test plans, collect test data, perform data analysis, and report and present the results.
- Develop and maintain high level of communication with cross-functional team and partners, including internal and external (academic) teams.
- Assist root cause analysis and corrective action for software components and products, and warranty issues.
- Attend functional training and technical conferences to learn new tools and methodologies and keep up to date on market and technical trends.
- Practice and maintain integrity while following Magna's Charter and Constitution.
- Comply with the designated ISO / TS 16949 responsibilities, Health & Safety (H&S) rules and practices, Magna policies, procedures, and practices.
- Treat everyone with dignity, trust, and respect.
- Perform any other assignments from time-to-time as management so directs.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or equivalent engineering discipline with appropriate coursework focus
- Proficiency in developing process logic for vision-guided robotic pick and place cells using structured text programming from scratch without use of any templates.
- Experience using Codesys soft-PLC system.
- 3+ years of hands-on field experience in industrial automation and robotics.
- Ability to teach robot paths and points using the teach pendant for ABB, Fanuc, KUKA, Yaskawa robots.
- Experience in hardware and software system integration, such as integration of new sensors, actuators and/or robotic manipulator into a new or existing test system.
- Familiarity with 2D and 3D vision systems and integration.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Readiness to travel international & domestic up to 5% annually.
- Sitting and standing for extended periods of time in an industrial lab environment.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computer components.
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That's why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.
Nearest Major Market: Detroit