Backend Engineer (Go) at Coalition (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 2:46 p.m. (CST) on Friday, September 16, 2022
Founded in 2017, Coalition combines cybersecurity and insurance to help organizations prevent digital risk before it strikes. Coalition’s Active Insurance policies combine traditional coverage with a digital risk assessment and monitoring technology to help small and medium-sized businesses protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
The team at Coalition is made up of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as insurance industry veterans. Our secret sauce is bringing this expertise together to create a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Coalition is also backed by leading global insurers like Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re, and Zurich North America, Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtech serving over 160,000 customers.
In June 2022, Coalition closed an additional $250 million in Series F Funding to accelerate its rapid growth at a time when many other companies struggled to find funding. This latest funding validated that Coalition is building a long-term business that can deliver profitable growth with a clear strategic advantage.
Coalition has experienced tremendous growth by helping organizations of all sizes solve real-world problems and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity, and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2021 and one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies for 2022.
About The Role
The Application+ team owns multiple backend services accountable for the questions and facts related to the insurance applications, the product catalog, automated underwriting and pricing, and the orchestration among the various backend services. This highly collaborative team is building some of the core services used across the multiple lines of insurance offered by Coalition.
As an Application+ team engineer, you write backend services and help design systems that guide an intricate set of business rules and allow those rules to map to deterministic outcomes. You enjoy making sure that all the logic branches of your system are well understood and tested and you focus on engineering excellence. You enjoy building APIs that are joyful to consume and you make sure that everyone identifies the lifecycle events of the services you build. You enjoy a collaborative environment and have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Our team’s services are written in Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic judgments about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We are looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team identify how they fit into the broader puzzle.
This is a full-time position that will be based in the United States and Canada
- Build out high quality APIs and web services providing a scalable, efficient and tailored set of interfaces
- Design, document and deploy public interfaces that will be highly utilized
- Work with cross functional stakeholders including product, design, sales, and others to help break down business requirements into actionable plans
- Collaborate with Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to develop and deliver applications in a repeatable, stable and joyful software development lifecycle
- Develop test cases and work with QE to ensure engineering excellence
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen and important items that come up along the way
Skills and Qualifications
- Computer Science or Engineering degree - related technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- API and service development in Go and/or Python or a similar language.
- Production tested cloud native development principles
- Analyzing software errors with tools like Sentry, DataDog, Jaeger/Zipkin, GreyLog or App Dynamics
- Container based deployment and development with Docker
- Experience using multiple transports and formats (e.g. REST, gRPC, GraphQL)
- Use of source control - git, svn or perforce
- Working with an agile team using collaborative development tools - Atlassian Suite, GitHub or GitLab
- At least 2+ years of hands-on software development experience building APIs and services - It’s not the years, it’s the miles
- Be able to collaborate with your team in a fast-paced environment
- Production experience serving large user bases (100,000+)
- Development in distributed, event-driven and message-driven architectures using tools such as Kafka, SNS, and SQS
We’re a highly fulfilling, mission-driven team that is committed to building a more diverse and inclusive culture. We want to work with people of all different backgrounds and paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership, and put in the work, no matter how small the task. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive, and dedicated individuals to join #OurCoalition and help us on our mission to solve digital risk.
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, or status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
More Information on Coalition
Coalition operates in the Insurance industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA. Coalition was founded in 2017. It has 198 total employees. To see all 36 open jobs at Coalition, click here.
Read Full Job Description