Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 2 million independent retailers in North America and Europe doing more than $2 trillion in revenue. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect this thriving community of entrepreneurs across the globe. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products from around the world to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses everywhere can compete with these big box and e-commerce giants.
By supporting the growth of independent businesses, Faire is driving positive economic impact in local communities, globally. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
UXEs are a crucial part of the production team and especially for the design system initiative. They partner with user researchers and designers to define usability goals, brainstorm solutions, and advise on the technical feasibility of in-progress designs.
They work with designers to create a library of consistent, usable, and accessible components to be used in our design system, including high fidelity prototyping. They don’t typically focus as much on non-UI elements of the front-end like data integration, APIs, performance, or analytics, but they ensure that the designs are implemented as intended, with elegantly simple and efficient code.
What you’ll do
- Create and improve components for our component libraries (Web, iOS, or Android)
- Collaborate with designers and developers to build new tools for our design system and improve design and development experiences.
- Improve the handoff workflow by creating new bridges and improving our up-and-coming design tokens management system (Style Dictionary)
- Advocate for front-end standard methodologies and educate our teams around semantic HTML, CSS, accessibility, localization, performance…
- Help shape and scale the design system practice at Faire.
What you need to have
- Knowledge of CSS architecture and preprocessors
- Ability to thrive in highly energetic environments, proactively working across teams and subject areas to deliver unified experiences
- Fantastic attention to detail
- Good communicator, verbal and written
What will get you extra points
- Previous experience contributing to a design system, building tooling or Figma plugins
- Knowledge of TypeScript (or other typed programming languages), accessibility, localization, motion.
- Experience with native development (iOS or Android)
- Previous experience as a designer
- Leading a community
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 350,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London, New York, LA, and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.