Product Design Manager - Growth at M1
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for an experienced Product Design Manager to join our Growth division. You’ll mentor and coach a small team of designers that are focused on driving new client engagement, and adopting and utilizing our best-in-class membership product, M1 Plus. You’re passionate about leveraging design to drive the very best outcomes for our clients, and you thrive in a fast-paced highly collaborative environment where you can have an immediate impact. We're hiring for our headquarters in Chicago, our office in Salt Lake City, and remotely across the US.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the Head of Product Design to develop and execute on our vision and drive strategy with your direct reports.
- Mentor and coach a small team of product designers both in their work and in their career path.
- Help build a culture of design excellence by providing your team with feedback to continually elevate design quality and processes, inspiring them to be bold and innovative.
- Work with your design peers to manage the design execution, quality and cohesion of a holistic platform user experience.
- Form a strong partnership with your Product Management, Engineering, Research, Data, Marketing and Ops peers and be a key contributor to our product strategy.
- Connect with users to listen, observe and turn their feedback into insights and ideas that drive the best outcomes.
- Help align your team’s goals, priorities and deliverables to the company’s overall strategic goals.
- Effectively communicate your team's goals, and connect related projects across the company so problems or joint decisions can be resolved quickly.
- 8+ years designing exceptional digital products with a portfolio that showcases your ability to move fluidly between user research, UX, UI and visual design.
- 2+ years managing, mentoring and building design teams.
- An obsession for deeply understanding customer and user needs, and the ability to translate those needs into transformative product solutions.
- You make sound design decisions with qualitative and quantitative data as well as have the know-how to acquire that data.
- A track record of collaborating with Product Management and Engineering to ship multiple products that have made a measurable impact.
- A thorough understanding of responsive web design, iOS and Android platforms, UI component libraries, living design systems and modern browser technologies.
- A passion for elegant, practical design and continual experimentation, iteration and optimization.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1) , M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym