We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale opportunities that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones. We’re a four sided marketplace and design for the needs of Consumer, Shoppers, Retailers, and Advertisers.
The Instacart design team focuses on designing, building & landing multi-platform product experiences that make grocery shopping effortless and create economic opportunity for our shoppers. The team crafts solutions for large-scale challenges that will change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.ABOUT THE JOB
We’re looking for a product design leader who will shape the product experience for our Consumers and Shoppers, while maintaining balance in the whole four-sided marketplace ecosystem. As a Director, you will work closely with the VPs of Product and Engineering to define product strategy and vision, while growing and supporting a team of product designers and managers focused on building high-quality, meaningful user experiences.
We need someone who knows what it means to uphold a high craft bar in a fast-paced, ever-evolving technology startup. You know what it takes to keep a team inspired and motivated in their work, and able to see how their unique contributions connect to the bigger picture – the company, and beyond to our end users. You know that our success hinges upon the success of the team, and you’re passionate and proactive about encouraging them, coaching them, and offering constructive feedback.ABOUT YOU
- 15+ total years of overall design experience, with a substantial portion in product design
- 6+ years of people management experience – including managing managers for multiple years and teams of 12 of more
- A track record of attracting world-class senior talent and creating high-performing teams
- Ability to thrive and effectively communicate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Deep understanding of product-building functions including engineering, analytics, content strategy, and research
- You demonstrate a human-centered approach to design that’s inquisitive, strategic, and empathetic
- You lead with clarity and vision, and you can motivate others to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged
- Reliable self-starter who can provide direction to teams and designers at a 40,000 ft. level and at a pixel-level (whichever is most needed in the moment)
- Track record of influencing product and engineering functions to keep user problems top-of-mind and invest in holistic, future-friendly solutions
- Operationally effective at identifying root causes and then creating and executing well-scoped solutions to address team process, health, or retention issues
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.