Director DAS/Small Cell RF Design
Boingo simplifies complex wireless challenges to connect people, businesses and things. For 20 Years, Boingo has been leading the way, pioneering first after first. No matter what wireless technology comes next, Boingo will be there
As Director of DAS/Smallcell RF Design, you’ll play a key role in leading the regional territory in the design of inbuilding Cellular Networks. You’ll own the design process of multiple projects, managing in-house and third-party RF network designs and documentation deliverables. This position requires a diversified technical skill set and a strong understanding of cellular 3G and 4G network technologies, particularly with in-building systems. Your knowledge and experience in carrier deployments and design requirements is essential to engage carrier clients and internal boingo crossfunctional teams to deliver quality designs on time. You will be managing RF design engineers to produce quality designs on time. You will be responsible for managing their capacity and workload and balancing priorities with deliverables.
- Design and design management of in-building multi-carrier wireless networks in airports, tunnels, stadiums, arenas, campuses, and other large venues managed by Boingo Wireless – including multicarrier CDMA, GSM, UMTS, LTE, CBRS and 5G systems.
- Support project managers with integration and testing of in-building wireless networks and ensure documentation and monitoring of the networks are completed to internal, project-specific, and wireless Carrier standards.
- Responsibility for coordination and delivery of technical designs, design reviews, RF testing, design documentation, etc., with Carrier technical and venue technical personnel
- iBwave design process management for assigned projects, whether internal or through third-party vendors
- Manage and mentor highly trained RF design engineers to produce carrier grade quality design.
- Assist Boingo NOC, field operations managers, and carrier partner technical support staff to troubleshoot and repair network related issues within the wireless networks as a third-tier support specialist.
- 15+ years’ working and recent experience in telecommunications industry.
- Advanced working experience of in-building wireless Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS), Smallcells and Distributed DRAN Solutions and Architectures.
- Advanced working experience of 3G/4G wireless protocols (e.g., UMTS, LTE, LTE-A, LAA etc).
- Working experience of 5G technologies and CBRS is preferred.
- iBWave - Level 2 Certified. Level 3 preferred.
- Minimum 7+ years experience in iBwave design.
- Recent experience with DAS vendors and vendor solutions, such as Commscope, TEKO, SOLiD, Corning in building coverage solutions.
- Experience in DAS commissioning, CW testing and integration.
- Experience engaging Wireless Carriers’ RF teams; conducting design reviews to get design approvals.
- Must have done all or part of a major venue design: an airport, stadium, etc. that is on air,
- Basic working knowledge of CAD viewers, CAD drawings and civil and mechanical engineering.
- RF Technical Skills and Troubleshooting
- Experience leading and mentoring RF design engineers to produce quality design packages on time.
- Ability to perform engineering computations
- Superior communications skills, verbal, written
- Aptitude managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Super organizational skills, time management and tracking of design tickets and schedules.
- Pro-active, take charge, responsible for details.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering in Telecommunications or Electronics.
- Willing to travel 25-50% of the time
Nice to haves
- Familiarity with cellular network test software packages such as Ericsson TEMS or similar.
- Level 2/3 Certification in IBwave design tool.
- Working knowledge of software documentation packages such as AutoCAD and Visio
- Experience working in airports, stadiums, and/or arenas
- Experience with construction processes and reading and understanding blue prints
Boingo Wireless helps the world stay connected. Our vast footprint of Wi-Fi and cellular networks covers more than a million locations and reaches over a billion consumers annually – in places as varied as airports, stadiums, military bases, and multifamily communities. The Boingo platform drives revenue through various products, including Wi-Fi, DAS (cellular), Media, Wholesale, and more.
We’re an enthusiastic team, dedicated to growing our business by building amazing, valuable products. We know that our field staff is key to our success, so we work hard to stay connected as a team. We make sure our field teams are included in the things we do at HQ - from live-streaming our quarterly all-hands meetings, to our Halloween Costume contest, to March Madness, and trivia contest. We even provide gift certificates for lunch. We want you to feel a part of everything we do. In addition, Boingo offers an incredible benefits package, including health, dental vision, 401(k) match, equity, unlimited vacation, parental leave, and equity. It’s no wonder we’ve been named among the Best Places to Work in LA for five years and counting!
Boingo is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Successful applicant must comply with the federal contractor Covid-19 Workplace Safety mandate requirements.
COVID-19 update: Yes, Boingo is hiring! Through our vast footprint of wireless networks, Boingo helps the world stay connected to the people and things they love. Our mission is as important now, as ever.
The health, happiness, and welfare of our team – current and future teammates – is our top concern. Therefore, we’re conducting our “in-person” interviews via video. Social distancing can prove the power of virtual connection. We can still get to know one another, while following the latest public health recommendations. So, connect today, and help us continue to connect the world with the people and things they love.