Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Despite our success, we believe we can do better, which is why we’ve assembled an elite team from around the world in fields ranging from computer science and electrical engineering to economics and statistics. If you’re passionate about solving hard problems at big data scale, knowing that your contribution to Upwork is enabling massive economic value and creating social value globally, then please read on.
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience building machine learning solutions to tackle business challenges. One of your hallmarks is your ability to reconcile business needs with what the data is suggesting and take these suggestions to come up with new ideas and approaches. In the process, you derive much of your joy at work knowing that your inventions and your job matters.
If you are looking for a new challenge that will change how people do work then apply now!Your Responsibilities:
- Dive deep into the data to derive and share your insights across the business
- Lead the creation of models that will become core components driving the search and recommendation experience
- Provide context to your team and drive alignment towards business objectives
- Influence and empower the team to ensure key projects and engineering duties are fulfilled
- Build quality relationships with cross-functional teams
- Coach and mentor data scientists on the team
- Deep knowledge of machine learning, information retrieval, recommender systems, natural language processing, and related fields
- Solid programming skills that enable you to retrieve, analyze and process data, and build machine learning models from the ground up (e.g. SQL, Python, Scala, Java).
- Superior ability to analyze and interpret the results of product experiments
- Excellent experience working with multiple organizational stakeholders including product, analytics, engineering, and research, etc
- Strong team management skills with the ability to manage quarterly team roadmap and competing priorities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, being able to explain complex technical information to a non-technical audience
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.