We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
As a machine learning engineer you’ll be building the critical infrastructure for the open financial system -- tapping into a variety of large data sources such as the blockchain -- to provide millions of people access to crypto while detecting and preventing bad actors. You’ll not only have the chance to drive significant impact from protecting Coinbase, you’ll also leverage machine learning to make our product delightful by adding intelligence to news, notifications, risk, and much more.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Build onboarding codelabs, tools and infrastructure for ML to democratize access to ML across Coinbase.
- Explore and leverage state of the art machine learning techniques for a variety of problems across the company including fraud, feed ranking, recommendations and targeting, blockchain mining.
- Build and launch excellent productionalized, low-maintenance applied Machine Learning integrations.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 3+yrs of industry experience as a machine learning and software engineer
- Experience building backend systems at scale with a focus on data processing/machine learning/analytics.
- Experience with at least one ML model: Logistic Regression, Gradient Boosting trees, Deep learning, etc.
- Working knowledge in one or more of the following: data mining, information retrieval, advanced statistics or natural language processing, computer vision.
- Exhibit our core cultural values: add positive energy, communicate clearly, be curious, and be a builder.
Nice to haves:
- BS, MS, PhD degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistics, or related technical field.
- Knowledge of Apache Airflow, Spark, Flink, Kafka/Kinesis, Snowflake, Hadoop, Hive.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience with model interpretability, responsible AI.
- Experience with data analysis and visualization.
What to send:
A resume that describes your ML and software experience as well as their impact.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.