Reports to: Senior Director of Engineering
Cardlytics is looking for a Senior Data Engineer with excellent technical qualifications and passion for creating high performing and scalable data systems on top of Spark, Kafka, SQL Server, Vertica, and other database technologies. A successful senior data engineer will participate in discussions in designing and architecting solutions, making sure many aspects of the problem, both current and future, are taken into consideration and lead the team to correctly implement those solutions in a timely manner.
The senior data engineer is responsible for the design and coding of new features and applications, enhancing existing products, and implementing new technologies, paradigms, and practices to provide the best solutions to our customers. This includes technical design and development of Cardlytics' current and future systems as a part of a team of other data engineers and across other Engineering and business teams. The senior data engineer will also be responsible for implementing organizational and industry standards and best practices to ensure compatibility, reliability, resiliency, scalability, performance, and maintainability.As a Senior Data Engineer, you will:
- Develop new applications and features within a scrum team providing data and data services to the enterprise, other engineering teams, data science, analysts, product, management/executives, and other business teams
- Build high performing and scalable data platforms to support multiple data pipelines to ingest and deliver data as fast and reliably as possible
- Implement new technologies and practices to provide the best solutions to our customers
- Be responsible for architecture/design and risk analysis/mitigation on a macro level
- Develop and maintain solutions on our tech stack environments (Spark Structured Streaming, Spark, Kafka, Traditional RBDMS, MPP RBDMS, etc.)
- Work with business teams to create technical requirements and deliver within time and scope
- Work with IT Operations and Prod Support to ensure solutions are releasable, maintainable, and scalable
- Work with Risk & Compliance to ensure necessary logging/security is in place to comply with audits
- Help develop team members through code reviews, enforcing standards, best practices, policies, and processes
- Perform functional testing, end-to-end testing, performance testing, and UAT of applications and code written by self and other members of the team
- Participate in POCs as requested for new related tech versions, toolsets, and solutions both built and bought to prove viability for given business cases
- 5+ years of data engineering and/or modern data warehousing experiences in Spark Streaming, Spark, Kafka, RDBMS in Scala/Java and SQL.
- 2+ years of diagnosing issues and tuning applications in various environments
- Knowledge of serialization technologies: Avro
- Experience with AWS
- Proficient knowledge of optimization, concurrency, scale-up vs scale-out, encryption, application- and process-level security, etc. in an Apache/Hadoop environment is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or related field or equivalent relevant experience
- Big pluses: Functional Programming, Columnar Storage Format (e.g. Parquet), Data Lake Architecture/Implementation, Git-like source control, Test Driven Development, Fintech/Adtech Experience
- Able to express yourself and articulate your ideas clearly, thoroughly, and respectfully; you listen the same way, and you do both across all levels of the organization with confidence
- Able to offer opinions and make decisions with limited information; able to accept and manage risk and drive change
- Able to take abstract ideas, formulate an actionable strategy, and execute on time and on scope
- A self-starter: you drive projects forward with limited oversight
- A mentor: you develop employees on the team or who want to be on the team
- Able to shift quickly between projects and prioritize appropriately
- Lifestyle Spending Account - Company funded account that can be used for physical, emotional, and financial wellness!
- Flexible PTO
- Healthcare benefits that go into effect day one
- Employer funded Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Competitive compensation
- Equity grants for all employees
At Cardlytics (NASDAQ: CDLX), we created an industry…but we are just getting started. From idea inception at a kitchen table in Atlanta to now publicly traded on NASDAQ with offices around the world, we are proud of the work we've accomplished and are looking for more smart and creative minds to join us on our mission.
By using data for good, we connect brands with real people through their banks' digital channels (think: online and mobile apps). And when we make these connections, everyone wins - brands drive more sales, banks drive more loyalty, and people receive more cash back. It's that simple.
So how exactly does it work? Through our partnerships with financial services companies like Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Venmo, we have insights into one out of every two card swipes in the U.S. This equates to roughly $3.1 trillion in annual purchase spend from more than 161 million bank customers.
Respecting this complete view of the consumer, we can create mutually beneficial relationships between those consumers and their favorite brands and financial services partners. These are relationships that otherwise would not have happened without our help. It's our advanced targeting that drives advertising performance - because performance matters, and it's our superpower.
Are you ready to become a shareholder and join a team filled with creatives and data scientists, consultants, and artists, to help redefine marketing?
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and leveraging our unique perspectives to grow our company to new heights, while ensuring Cardlytics is a great place where great people want to be.