Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our Variant Classification team handles terabytes of clinical data upon which we build reporting and discovery applications. Our mission is to efficiently store our rapidly growing sample-level data, annotate variants and enrich this data to make it available for a variety of use cases. This is a hands-on role.
What you will do:
- Collaborate on the design and implementation of a world class variant store and annotation pipeline that can scale with our business
- Understand high level business requirements and write technical documentation and implementation plans
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership of the entire software development lifecycle, from architecture, implementation, performance, security to quality
- Work within our AWS-based application and data platform to ensure uptime, reliability, efficiency, and ease of use through automation
- Use industry-standard methodologies, and innovative solutions, keeping security top of mind
- Improve our application platform's observability using custom metrics and/or integrations (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana)
- Understand and contribute to our sophisticated data ecosystem, promote solutions to other teams, and communicate any impactful changes to customers
What you bring:
- Extensive experience developing, deploying and running applications built on distributed systems like Spark, Parquet and Snowflake
- Have architected distributed systems with infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, and alerting
- Independent, self-starter mentality that can work towards big picture goals
- Expert proficiency in at least one coding language (e.g. Python, Scala) and openness to pick other coding languages.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Have an extensive understanding of AWS services
- Have a proven track record of improving systems in secure, reliable, and reproducible way
- Curiosity about how things work at a fundamental level and strive to automate business processes
- Lifelong learners, always pushing themselves and teammates to drive to great results
- Preferred: Interest or experience working with bioinformatics tools, data types and databases
- Preferred: Strong SQL experience
- Preferred: Experience with Linux systems (e.g. Ubuntu, Amazon Linux)
- Preferred: Experience with CI/CD pipelines (e.g. GitHub Actions)
- Preferred: Prior experience using data warehousing or building out data warehouses
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization, which has been crafted to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us.!
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
#LI - #NC2
#LI - #REMOTE