Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Infectious Disease Assay Development at Invitae
Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Infectious Disease Assay Development
Location: SF, must be able to be on site in our San Francisco lab as part of a regular schedule
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
The Microbial Genomics Team at Invitae is building a broad suite of clinical microbial genomics products. We are looking for a Scientist to join our team to support our assay development efforts for infectious disease diagnostics. We are using novel technologies to develop assays capable of rapidly identifying pathogens, characterizing antimicrobial resistance, determining host response to various pathogens, individual risk stratification and susceptibility, and genome surveillance efforts for public health monitoring.
We’re looking for an extraordinary scientist who has an “anything is possible” mindset and is motivated to develop clinical diagnostic assays from proof-of-concept to robust clinical products.
You thrive in a fast-paced environment and can make decisions rapidly. You have a proven track-record of developing and analyzing innovative metagenomics / molecular biology assays and solving complex biological problems. Importantly, you have a solid understanding of experimental design and a broad understanding of different assay technologies used in microbial genomics and diagnostics. You want to make a difference by improving healthcare and are motivated to make it happen. You are collaborative and enjoy working with a strong team but also can work with minimal direction while delivering high quality results.
What you’ll do:
- Develop new clinical molecular biology assays for rapid pathogen identification and comprehensive infectious disease diagnostics
- Provide expert guidance to define and build novel molecular biology assays from proof-of-concept through clinical validation (CLIA/CAP)
- Experimental design and execution of wet lab experiments for NGS workflows, including nucleic acid extraction, library preparation, target enrichment, sequencing, integrating workflows with lab automation, and assay troubleshooting
- Collaborate with a diverse and highly-skilled cross-functional group of scientists, bioinformaticians, software engineers, lab automation engineers, and product managers to drive decision-making and data-driven product development
What you bring:
- Ability to be on site in our San Francisco lab as part of regular schedule is required
- For a Scientist level, we are looking for a PhD in molecular biology or related area with 2+ years of post-degree experience, preferably in industry or a cutting edge and research-oriented academic institution; or Master’s degree with experience sufficient to demonstrate equivalency
- For a Sr. Scientist level, we are looking for a PhD or equivalent with 4+ years of industry and/or academic experience in infectious disease, microbiology, molecular biology, virology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field with a focus on microbial genomics
- Experience can be in infectious disease, microbiology, molecular biology, virology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field with a focus on microbial genomics
- For a Scientist level, we are looking for proven ability to design novel molecular biology assays as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, conference posters/talks, published patents, or launched products
- For a Sr. Scientist level, we are looking for proven track record in ability to work independently in a lab setting with the ultimate goal of developing and validating diagnostic assays
- Extensive wet lab experience and experimental design knowledge in the areas of microbiology, molecular biology, virology, metagenomics, or a related field
- Expertise and wet lab experience in NGS-based assay development for microbial genomics including nucleic acid extraction (bacterial, viral, etc.) from a variety of clinical sample types, library preparation strategy, target enrichment and host depletion knowledge, and experience with various sequencing technologies (Illumina, Nanopore, PacBio, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency developing robust assays in a R&D setting with bonus points for experience with developing clinical products in a CLIA/CAP environment
- Flexible and pragmatic problem solving skills, with a rigorous and data-driven approach to troubleshooting
- Preferred: Experience with liquid handling automation (e.g. Agilent Bravo, Hamilton STAR)
- Preferred: Experience in statistical data analysis, and a familiarity with metagenomic sequencing data and analysis pipelines (both host and microbe)
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.