Aceable is a mobile education platform designed to create affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, our team is obsessed with helping people reach their life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching our first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and most recently entered into healthcare education. Aceable serves hundreds of thousands of students per month, but we need your help to tackle our vision of serving millions of students per month!
Aceable has been awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many student-lives as possible.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Aceable is looking for an experienced Principal Data Architect to lead the technical development of the next generation of our data warehouse. You will be responsible for working with several internal customer teams to map their needs and working with the Business Intelligence and Engineering teams to design and implement scalable and automated data solutions.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Establish a Data Platform that allows us to unlock data for our students and the business, including standardization of data collection, automating data pipelines, and data governance
- Identify and implement technology investments in analytics and data science tools, including databases and/or business intelligence tools, ETL infrastructure, distributed compute clusters, and unifying customer data across currently used tools and services
- Conduct data cleaning to eliminate and reduce old, unused, or duplicate data sets and tools
- Collaborate with senior business, analytics, and engineering stakeholders in defining how Aceable creates additional value through the utilization of its data assets and analytics, and work cross functionally to ensure the data platform supports business requirements
- Provide mentorship, training, and guidance to members of your team, the larger engineering team, and our stakeholders
- Lead the design, development, and continuous management of our data warehouse and schema to support data collection and transformations, and reporting needs of the business with high integrity
- Implement a data validation process to proactively identify and resolve data pipeline failures or incomplete data sets which have an impact on downstream reporting
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 8+ years of hands-on experience with large-scale, distributed ETL/ELT pipelines, as well as data management, modeling, and storage
- Experience working with large, complex, and ambiguous datasets from many data sources and formats in order to parse them into clear and unified data models
- Successful track record of creating reusable, scalable architectures to prepare data for downstream consumption
- Experience with AWS cloud services: S3, EC2, RDS, Redshift, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including MySQL, MS SQL, and MongoDb
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools and services: dbt, Airflow, FiveTran, etc.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas through strong technical writing and impactful visualization in a dynamic and diverse environment
- Experience with data aggregation services, ex. Segment
- Experience with Heroku
- Prior work experience in the EdTech space
- Experience with machine learning
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2021
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous time off programs
- Flexible work schedule
- Passionate teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- LinkedIn Learning
- Wellness Program
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Company events and activities (holiday events, happy hours, volunteering)
- Free parking spot downtown in our garage 24/7 or a monthly transportation stipend
- Education stipend ($500/year/full-time employee)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- NOTE: Our team is currently remote due to Covid-19, and we have some awesome virtual perks that come with it (trivia, karaoke, bingo, happy hours, lunch & learns, and more)
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status. Even if you don't think you meet every qualification listed, we'd love to review your application!