Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The Data Platform team builds and operates systems to centralize all of Coinbase's internal and third-party data, making it easy for teams across the company to access, process, and transform that data for analytics, machine learning, and powering end-user experiences. As an engineer on the team you will contribute to the full spectrum of our systems, from managing foundational processing and data storage, to building and maintaining scalable pipelines, to developing frameworks, tools, and internal applications to make that data easily and efficiently available to other teams and systems.
We have a number of open roles within the Data Platform team, each with a different focus area; read on to see if you’ll be a good fit for Streaming Compute!
What you’ll be doing:
- Support and operate our MSK clusters by integrating services and features as necessary to make it fully self-service and self-managing.
- Become an expert at operating and managing our Databricks clusters, ensuring it as a stable, secure platform for large volume streaming data processing and analysis.
- Build and maintain the infrastructure needed to support a wide range of streaming use cases both within the team and externally.
- Work closely with other teams to evangelize best practices through documentation, tutorials, examples, and complete implementations
To succeed in this role, we also look for:
- Extensive experience building streaming applications and streaming platforms, both as a client and as an operator.
- Well-versed in industry best practices, and you are as comfortable discussing and communicating architectural designs and patterns as you are implementing them.
- Hands-on experience building streaming data systems using Spark on Kafka.
- Hands-on experience building change data capture pipelines using open-source systems such as Debezium and Databricks.
- Hands-on experience standing up, operating, and maintaining Kafka and Spark clusters.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience; 7+ years for a senior role.
- Strong Python or Java backend development skills.
- General experience working with data systems or data pipelines
- Leverage your Python, Airflow, and Looker expertise to scale our Airflow data pipelines to the next 10x level
Preferred (not required):
- Experience with core AWS services and concepts (S3, IAM, autoscaling groups), or devops experience.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.