Data Journalist/Technical Writer - NYC
Smarter Thinking. Real Results. Technology consulting has been our story for over 14 years. Companies from all industries partner with us for our innovative mindset to help them digitally transform to create market advantages, become resilient, and prepare for what’s next. With us, the possible becomes actual.
We provide strategic and innovative consulting services focused on digital experiences, engineering, automation, data and analytics, and salesforce solutions. Saggezza consultants work as part of a global team, and throughout their tenure, have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects across various clients and industries. We are chartered to do one thing, and one thing only – to bring enabling technology to our clients that allow them to move their business forward.
We are currently looking to hire a Data Journalist to join our growing Data & Analytics Practice based in Chicago, IL.
In this role you'll always be responsible for:
- Pitching data-driven stories and graphics.
- Designing data visualizations based on research and reporting.
- Assisting team members with creating supporting materials such as graphics and slide decks.
- Articulating the business value of data and analytics technology.
- Interviewing team members to obtain accurate information.
- Writing documentation of various data and technology applications.
- Creating marketing content (e.g., customer success stories, blog posts, white papers).
From a cultural perspective, we look for individuals who possess the following qualities that will contribute to our success and the success of our clients:
- Entrepreneurial spirit: We seek individuals who enjoy contributing to the growth of an organization and who show commitment to the success of their team.
- Problem-solving skills: Individuals at our company have well-honed analytical skills coupled with business acumen to structure problems, deliver solutions, and communicate insights.
- Drive: Our team sets ambitious goals and seeks energetic professionals, enjoy a fast-paced environment, and thrive when taking on responsibility.
What You’ll Definitely Need:
- A Bachelor's degree with significant coursework completed in Journalism, English, or related fields in the humanities and social sciences.
- 1+ years of experience writing clear content discussing quantitative information.
- 1+ years of experience writing technical documents (such as instructions, best practices, or code documentation).
- Some experience with data analysis and reporting.
- Experience collecting and cleaning data, with regards to best journalistic practices.
- Flexibility to work occasional nights or weekends, based on story deadlines.
- Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner and write detailed methodology notes.
What We'd Love to See
- Experience writing documentation for a technical product (e.g., a mobile application)
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Familiarity with data-visualization libraries or standard design software such as Adobe Illustrator. Understanding of layout, typography, and UX. Experience with mobile-web development is highly advantageous.
- Interest in innovative storytelling formats, e.g., short films.
Experience with any of the following:
- Relational data stores, such as SQL Server, MySQL or PostgreSQL
Don’t tick all the boxes? Don’t worry about it: we still want to hear from you if you think
you’re the right person for the job.
Why Join Our Team?
- Diverse culture, experiences, and skills.
- Our nurturing and supportive environment fosters collaboration across the entire organization.
- We are not hierarchical but operate as a flat surface where every opinion matters, ideas are cultivated and innovation is encouraged.
- At Saggezza, we are fortunate to have a strong mentorship program that provides every one of our employees the ability to thrive professionally and personally.
- We are only as good as our people. Saggezza, Italian for wisdom, is rooted from the perspective that knowledge is power. We create thought-leaders who are constantly exposed and trained in different technologies in the ever-evolving world of software development.
- We welcome innovators with entrepreneurial spirits to grow with our team.
- Consulting Magazine - Fastest Growing Firms 2019
- Built-In Top Places to Work in Chicago 2020
- Best and Brightest Companies in the Nation 2019 and 2020, Best and Brightest Companies in Milwaukee 2020 and Best and Brightest Companies in Chicago 2020
- 2020 Inc. 5000 List - Honored as one of the fastest-growing private companies in America
Saggezza is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: We believe in treating each employee and applicant for employment fairly and with dignity. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law.