Senior Writer, Technology at Ad Hoc (Jacksonville, FL)
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.What you’ll do
The Senior Writer, Technology is responsible for:
- Supporting all writing projects for the Technology Team, both publicly and internally
- Demonstrating exceptional people, writing, and communication skills with an openness to ideas and feedback from others
- Producing content to standardize processes and procedures
- Working with technical staff to turn ideas and concepts into finished written work (internal and public)
- Comfortable ghost writing and editing in partnership with a variety of thought leaders
- Translating complex topics into easy to digest, plain language content
- Collaborating with others; makes work visible and advocating for good content
- Working with team members to structure, write, and edit long-form content such as white papers, guides, and playbooks
- Creating feedback loops on content and documentation; writes, edits, and helps define best practices for documents
- Utilizing systems level thinking in the analysis content as it relates to the digital services we build and the capabilities we deliver
- Demonstrating acute technical accuracy and attention to detail
- Maintaining a general understanding of product management, experience and engineering and how they interact
- Creating materials and contributions to the content library and other written artifacts that support the Technology team
- Working closely with leaders to create scripts for high value speaking engagements
- Support the production of educational materials
- Creating streamlined and thorough documentation from ambiguous ideas and concepts
- Elevates Ad Hoc’s visibility and evangelizing our values in the gov-tech marketplace
- Demonstrates an ability to prioritize and manage work with minimal supervision
- Portfolio of prior work across the spectrum of this role
- Self-starter who seeks proactively to expand our written body of work
- Background working in or/with technology teams and writing for technology topics
- Solid spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
- A commitment to agility, flexibility, and iteration.
More than that, our ideal candidate wants to contribute to work that is bigger than themselves and wants to make a difference collaborating with their team. They care deeply about building better products, better relationships, and better trust in each interaction people have with their government. They believe in intuitive, easy-to-use government services. They collaborate well with designers, stakeholders, and other teams. They mentor and guide more junior engineers. They’re human-centered.
And if you don’t check every box on the list? That doesn’t mean you can’t help us in our mission to deliver critical government services. Talk to us!Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance.
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute.
- Our technical screening involves completing a homework assignment that is then graded blindly to remove bias. We do not do tricky, unreliable whiteboarding tests. You can read more about our homework here.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $73,620.60 - $108,933.80 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.