Senior Technical Writer at Unissant (Washington DC)
Unissant, Inc. is an innovative solutions development and consulting company committed to delivering simplicity through innovation. We meet this commitment by delivering state-of-the-art enterprise computing and processing solutions to both government and commercial clients. Our workforce continually strives to advance y(our) collective intellect through collaborative fortitude, and we are looking for further talent to join that effort! To learn more about our exciting organization, please visit us at
We are seeking a proven Senior Technical Writer with housing and finance experience to join our team and support our client in Washington, DC in support of Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA).
Successful applicant must comply with federal contractor vaccine mandate requirements.
As a part of the interview process the candidate may be required to complete an editing exercise.
This resource will serve as a Technical Writer and editor for FHFA's Division of Research and Statistics (DRS). DRS provides research and analysis both to policy makers and for public consumption. Topic areas span consumer behavior, housing market dynamics, and business activities of regulated entities in housing finance. Nearly all of its 50 professional staff have advanced degrees, which are principally in Economics. DRS produces policy briefs and research reports based on data investigations and statistical estimations. DRS also creates public-facing data products which have blog posts and public-user documentation. Examples can be found on the FHFA public web site at: and .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The resource will provide a consistent look-and-feel to DRS material, edit documents written by others, and provide training to staff on techniques for self-editing and improving initial drafts. They will make recommendations to management on improving the presentation of written materials, software tools, document templates, and scaling technical level of presentations for different audiences.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience.
- At least 5 years professional technical writing experience.
- The resource should have experience supporting a professional staff in technical writing/editing with a consistent track record of successful engagements.
- Experience with documents, based on data analysis and statistical estimation is a plus
- Experience designing/formatting visuals and diagrams for technical documents.
- Housing and housing finance experience is a plus.
- Editing and drafting document training experience, a plus.
This position also requires diplomacy and negotiation skills in dealing with sensitive and complex subject matters. The reports will be geared towards various audiences, including Congress, leaders/staff internal to the FHFA, other federal agencies, and the public at large.
- The resource should have an interest in housing, housing finance, and public policy, with the ability to quickly learn the subject matter.
- Enthusiastic, proactive, positive attitude with good listening skills and high integrity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to confidently make recommendations to senior level agency management.
- Ability to deal with and resolve ambiguity
- Ability to anticipate problems and take decisive action, giving regard to the impact on both the client and company
- Ability to adjust work/management style to different situations
- Ability to work under pressure (at times) and to be flexible under changing priorities
- Four-year Degree (Bachelor of Arts or Science) required
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
- PMP preferred
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) preferred
- Solid ability to interface, inspire and motivate at various levels of the organization.
- Ability to convey technical information to non-technical individuals.
- Demonstrated experience communicating effectively across internal and external organizations.
- This position can be performed remotely, with occasional visits to FHFA offices for defined sessions with staff on specific projects. Such visits are expected to be no more than 10 days in a 12-month period of time.
- Mainly sedentary; in an office environment.
- May be required to lift up to ten (10) pounds
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Unissant management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, where applicable and available, reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this position.
Please note: Candidate(s) will be required to go through pre-employment screening.
Unissant, Inc. is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer! (EOE; M/F/Disability/Vets)