Art Buyer (Temporary - 6 to 9 Months) at Curriculum Associates
Note: This is a 6 to 9 month freelance role. Candidates must submit samples or a portfolio to be considered.
At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
We are seeking a talented and experienced Art Buyer to commission engaging and content-driven illustration for our math and language arts curriculum products for Grades K-8. With direction from the Design and Editorial teams, the Art Buyer will find and present appropriate illustration styles for review, commission and manage illustration procurement from concept to finish. Successful candidates will be able to work independently within a highly collaborative environment, and will have a passion for exploring and working with diverse illustrators and subjects to solve issues of inequity within education.
The impact you’ll have:
- Join a mission-driven organization focused on developing educational resources that support anti-racist beliefs
- Be an integral part of creating educational resources that are used by 8 million students
across the country
- Develop products in collaboration with the educators we serve, as well as work with industry leaders and organizations to ensure culturally responsive resources
- Work with the CA Design Team to establish creative direction for new core and supplemental products (print and related digital resources)
What we're looking for:
- A bachelor’s degree or a comparable level of experience
- Familiarity with a diverse range of illustrators and agents, particularly those who work with educational publishers
- Experience in educational publishing and/or children’s media a plus
- Knowledge of age appropriate illustration styles and sensitivity to issues of equity and diversity
- Ability to maintain accurate tracking of assignments, fees, due dates and contracts
- Ability to negotiate illustration fees, generate and work within project budgets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, proficiency in Adobe CC suite of applications a plus
Required: A portfolio of representative work or list of clients, illustrators/agents worked with