2024 ASIC/FPGA Undergraduate Intern
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Aerospace Corporation returning ASIC/FPGA Engineer Undergraduate intern for an opportunity in El Segundo,
The Information Systems and Cyber Division (ISCD) is a world-class engineering and scientific leader in electronics and cybersecurity engineering. The Cyber Defense Solutions Department (CDSD) resides within ISCD and focuses on critical cyber R&D and rapid prototyping in the areas of Defensive Cyber Operations, Hardware Security & Specialty Engineering, Reverse Engineering and Exploit Development, as well as Spacecraft Security. We support a variety of customers including the Space Force's Space Systems Command (SSC), the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), and other civil customers (e.g. NASA) in order to resolve unique challenges in implementation and research.
The qualified candidate will become part of the Hardware Security and Specialty Engineering section of the Cyber Defense Solutions Department.
100% Remote: This position can be fully remote and located anywhere within the United States.
What You'll Be Doing
- Work on the cutting edge of hardware security research, development, and application while helping to secure National Security Space Systems.
- Develop tools to detect hardware Trojans in digital hardware designs and use software assurance tools to find potential vulnerabilities in software code.
- Define threat paths and develop guidance on FPGA/ASIC/embedded systems vulnerability mitigations.
- Perform hardware security research and development.
- Participate with an interdisciplinary team in ongoing research or technical programs with academic collaboration partners.
- Training and mentorship will be provided as it is a core part of the department culture.
What You Need to be Successful
- Currently enrolled full time at an accredited college/university degree program pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related program.
- Availability to work full-time for a minimum of 10 weeks outside of university term and ability to return to a degree program full-time after completion of the internship.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance (typically a U.S. Citizen)
- Some experience with FPGA design (HDLs-VHDL/Verilog/SystemVerilog), hardware, and tools from some of the major vendors (e.g. Xilinx, Altera, Microsemi)
- Some experience with embedded system design (e.g., Xilinx Zynq/Microblaze, ARM, Altera NIOS)
- Some experience with coding/scripting (C, C++, python, Perl, shell)
- Transcripts required
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Active Security Clearance
- Some experience with other ASIC/FPGA verification tools (e.g., linting, clock domain crossing, x-propagation, requirements traceability) using tools from some of the major vendors (e.g. Mentor Graphics, Cadence, Synopsys)
- Some experience with machine learning.
Temporary housing assistance is not available.
The Aerospace Corporation is a proud member of Space Workforce 2030, a growing coalition of leading space companies committed to collaboratively working toward a shared vision of expanding and diversifying opportunities for talent to join the exciting space industry. As part of this commitment, the Space Workforce 2030 companies have pledged to increase the number of females, diverse employees, and interns with a goal to hire at least 3,000 interns by the summer of 2030. Click here to learn more and register for the National Space Intern program.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$25.00 - $26.00 - $28.00
Pay Basis: Hourly
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.