Learn all the tips, tricks, shortcuts, functions and formulas you need to be an Excel power user. This course is designed specifically for Excel users who are performing professional financial analysis and financial modeling. We cover all levels…
Senior Financial Analyst
What Is a Senior Financial Analyst? How to Become One, Salary, Skills.
Senior financial analysts leverage financial data to help companies make sound investment decisions and improve their overall financial health. Here’s what to know about a senior financial analyst’s needed skills, salary and how to become one.
What Is a Senior Financial Analyst?
Senior financial analysts are responsible for advising junior financial analysts and guiding financial decisions for a company. A successful senior financial analyst makes accurate and timely forecasts to help their company achieve its financial goals.
What Do Senior Financial Analysts Do?
Senior Financial Analyst Responsibilities
- Create financial models and financial projections.
- Review and analyze financial reports and share findings with leadership and stakeholders.
- Help create budgets and forecasts.
- Ensure the company is complying with federal and state financial reporting laws and regulations.
- Create predictive models for cost projections as well as quarterly and annual profits.
Senior Financial Analyst Within a Company
Senior financial analysts are part of a company’s finance team, and they typically guide junior financial analysts with their responsibilities. Senior financial analysts may report directly to the finance manager or controller.
Importance of Senior Financial Analyst
Companies rely on senior financial analysts to make informed decisions regarding budgets and financial predictions. Senior financial analysts use their understanding of the business and financial patterns to help their company maintain healthy financial growth.
What Skills Are Needed to Be a Senior Financial Analyst?
Qualifications to Be a Senior Financial Analyst
- Strong mathematical and statistical background.
- Business acumen.
- Thorough understanding of accounting and financial auditing principles and best practices.
- Ability to present complex financial data to external teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and strict deadlines.
- Firm grasp on financial laws and regulations.
- Ability to easily multitask.
Senior Financial Analyst Prerequisites
- Senior financial analysts are usually required to have a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field.
- Many senior financial analysts have a CFA or CPA certification.
- This role usually requires at least five years of previous work experience in finance.
Senior Financial Analyst Hard Skills
- Analytical skills.
- Data analysis.
- Expertise in creating financial models.
- Critical thinking and problem solving.
Senior Financial Analyst Soft Skills
- Communication and presentation skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Time management.
Tools and Programs Senior Financial Analysts Use
- Mosaic Tech
- Oracle Essbase
- Microsoft Excel
- Bloomberg Terminal
How to Become a Senior Financial Analyst
Senior Financial Analyst Education and Experience
Senior financial analysts are often required to have at least a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field. A master’s degree in a similar field can help aspiring analysts open up more job opportunities. Senior financial analysts usually have five or more years of experience working in finance.
Senior Financial Analyst Certificates and Courses
- Chartered Financial Analyst Certification (CFA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- The Language and Tools of Financial Analysis
- The Complete Financial Analyst Course
Senior Financial Analyst Career Path
Senior financial analysts typically start their careers as entry-level analysts or accountants before progressing into a more senior role. Commonly held positions after senior financial analyst include finance manager, accounting manager, senior accountant or controller.
Senior Financial Analyst Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts are expected to have healthy job growth over the next several years. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that financial analysts will have 9 percent growth through 2031.
The full compensation package for a senior financial analyst depends on a variety of factors, including but not limited to the candidate’s experience and geographic location. See below for detailed information on the average senior financial analyst’s salary.
Expand Your Senior Financial Analyst Career Opportunities
Become a more well-rounded professional by attaining finance skills through Udemy’s online courses.
#1 Best Selling Investing Course on Udemy! Welcome to The COMPLETE Financial Analyst Training and Investing Course by the author of the best selling business course on Udemy, an award winning professor, Columbia MBA graduate, former…
You simply need to find a way to acquire practical skills that will give you an edge over the other candidates.
But how can you do that?
You need the proper training, and you have never seen how…
Have you ever thought about what would happen if you combined the power of machine learning and artificial intelligence with financial engineering?
Today, you can stop imagining, and…